The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

starter issues (RTH)

icurunnin

well I just purchased #662 and had to put a new starter on it. the old starter solenoid was engaging but the bendix wouldnt kick out. now the new starter is in and I am not getting voltage to the ignition switch wire at the solenoid. I traced it back to where it has a quick connect right by the battery and it is not getting voltage there either. all the relays are clicking like they should in the start position but no power to that one wire. any help on this?
only thing keeping it from running at the moment.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Unplug the clutch "down" switch, and try it again.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Disconnect it. (the switch that is actuated when the pedal is at the very bottom of it's stroke.)

When the pedal is anything but fully down, it's a complete circuit thru the switch.

It's only when the pedal is all the way down that the contact is broken at the switch, (which allows the starter to engage)

If there's a problem with the switch, or more likely the little tab it presses against, disconnecting the switch will allow the starter to operate regardless of the position of th cluch pedal.

Please note you will now have to pay attention, as the starter will now operate independently of the clutch pedal which could result in a bad day....should you decide to try and start it in gear. (ask me how I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )

EMX5636

If the clutch pedal thing doesn't work, I have one of those "ask me how I know"'s too. Did you happen to disconnect the starter harness when you put it in? A rectangular plug down by the transmission? If you did, make sure it's still plugged into the right one. If cruise control was removed, you can plug the starter plug into that and have no voltage there... I didn't find it for HOURS.... Good luck.

icurunnin

Quoting toybreaker:
Disconnect it. (the switch that is actuated when the pedal is at the very bottom of it's stroke.)

When the pedal is anything but fully down, it's a complete circuit thru the switch.

It's only when the pedal is all the way down that the contact is broken at the switch, (which allows the starter to engage)

If there's a problem with the switch, or more likely the little tab it presses against, disconnecting the switch will allow the starter to operate regardless of the position of th cluch pedal.

Please note you will now have to pay attention, as the starter will now operate independently of the clutch pedal which could result in a bad day....should you decide to try and start it in gear. (ask me how I know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif )

YOU iz da chit my friend!!
Big thanks for the quick reply and that something I would have never thought of. Just drove it around with a quart of MMO and came back and drained the oil and put some mobil in it.

Now on to everything else I need to change (fluids,belts,etc.)
Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned