The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP!! Need Technique for rear axle shaft removal...!!

mean_green

Still trying to get my G put together every spare second I have but got stuck tonight.

I used my puller and got the 3 bolt axle cup off and everything fine but now I cant seem to get the hub out. I havent taken the other side apart to see if its just this side or not but for the life of my I cant beat that axle out with my rubber mallet or a screw driver in the dimple on the end and a real hammer.

Ive read and reread the 5 lug conversion thread in the how to section but it doesnt really go into depth on what they used just says things like "remove rear spindle" and " drive the hub out" but nothing on how or what worked best.

Can someone help me out ASAP on a Technique or a common tool to make this easier!!?? Wanted this thing together tomorrow for the winter roads!

TIA
-Alan

BoostedAWD91

just get a pry bar or a real fat flat head screwdriver and stick it up behind the axle where it goes into the diff. Using the diff as leverage, just pop it outwards and it should pop right out.
Strong suggestion for re-installing the axle into the diff, unbolt the upper control arm so u can get a straight shot while popping it back in. Without doing this the axle is at a angle and wont pop back in

Terry Posten

You will need a very large press. Or maybe an Air Hammer with A LOT of guts.

Last edited:

mean_green

How do I use a press for this?

Im going to have to take the whole assembly off arent I?

I thought the axle shaft could be removed fairly simple from the car just to slap a 5 lug shaft in and go. DANG IT! The How-to threads fail to mention taking the assembly off so maybe theres another way? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Alan

Last edited:

Dan D

The axle shaft comes out easy. It sounds like you already have that taken care of. The spindle - the part that goes into the hub/trailing arm - that's a different story. One my car, one side came out with a slide hammer and a few minutes of grunting the other side required about 30min of slide hammering while a buddy flailed away with an air hammer from the insidie. It finally let go. If you take the whole trailing arm off, you can use a press to get it out.

GVR-4

Go rent the slide hammer from Autozone and buy some lug nuts that will be destroyed in the process. Make sure you tighten the flange from the slide hammer tight against the hub with the cheap lug nuts you buy from Autozone. The lug nuts will be trashed in the process, but this procedure will work.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ Good advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You should also get some fender washers, and tighten the lugnuts down against them, to miminimise damage to the puller flange.

mean_green

I got them out but thanks everyone, just a few good wacks with a big hammer while prying with a breaker bar.

Now Ive got to figure out the leaking master cylinder (post in newbie section)

-Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned