The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much timing to run

deez

I keep getting knock, and found that I can get rid of it by running only 2* timing. That really takes away from power compared to the stock 5*. Does anyone else run this little timing, or should I be trying to get rid of knock from some other approach?

What else are you tuning with? Under what conditions do you see knock (rpm/load) and how much?

ktmrider

You shouldn't need to reduce the base timing unless running huge boost.
Too hot plugs, reduced fuel pressure, injectors sticking, crappy gas, etc. You got a logger?!?

Edd,
You should email me your address so I can mail out a new chip, as your's has pretty old maps. You only have 91 octane, right? Stock compression? What altitude? How much boost are you trying to run with that much knock?

deez

My mods are listed at the link on my post, but I will email you also. Thanks Jeff. And as for the knock, its around 4200rpm, 20psi on an E16G, and about 3/4 throttle to WOT. I also pull some random knock around 3k, when under a load and not much boost. Its pulling about 2 bars on the old boost gauge, so however much knock that is.

deez

Oh ya, tuning with a logger and SAFC, new BPR7ES plugs, stock fuel pressure, 91 octane (the best I can get here), 20psi on an E16G.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned