The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACCEL WIRES

may be a dumb question but will the Accel wires for the 91' tsi fit the vr4? their website didnt give me an answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Spyke169

If you get anything that is polished I would spray them with come clear paint. I had a set couple years ago that had a polished lip and it got pitted pretty bad, I repolished it and sprayed it and had no problems after that.

polished? nope just the balck rubber boot that attaches to the spark plug and the red silicon wire...polished wires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Spyke169

sorry read wrong, I was referring to accel wheels...

Dont go with Accel wires... stick with something else... OEM is better. I hate hate hate Accel. Never had any luck with their products from V8's, 6's and to the 4g63. MSD's are good and i'm sure other people will recommend the Magnacores... everyone seems to rave about those. Dont' have any direct experience with them though.

Oh ok. Thanks for the heads up. I got a set for a couple bucks so maybe I'll just use them to get the car running then go with something else. Thanks again!!!

Terry Posten

I have not had any issues with pre-made Accel wires. Been using them on 425/1000 since I bought it 4 years ago.

The PO had regular 45 deg plug-boot wires stuffed down the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I did have issues with the Universal sets for V8s because I did not have the right tool to crimp the ends on right. Every once and a while the center electrode would burn out.

But I like the wires I have and they are the very first thing I did to my car. Just to get rid of a high rev misfire caused by the 45 deg boots that were grounding out.

Lol, I can't even imagine what the dumbass was thinking trying to get those 45's down there... wow...

I would have called him up laughing!

It's really hard to f*** up a plug wire, though I really do look for a wire that can be pulled out and nothing is going to come apart. I hate when that happens cause it usually leaves you without a car...

Terry Posten

The only thing I can think of is that I did buy it from a repo lot. The front suspension was shot. I could not even drive it on the highway. Anything over 50mph and the front tires were leaving the pavement.

It was not to easy to even get the old boots out of the head. The wires just pulled right out of the boots.

It was weird also that the car was in such bad general maintenance. It only had 113,000 miles when I got it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Terry Posten:
It was not to easy to even get the old boots out of the head. The wires just pulled right out of the boots.

I hate that!

A little silicone di-electric grease works wonders for helping the next guy out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's available in packets at the check out at most chain stores.

It's also available in squeeze tubes, or in a tub for people who wrench a lot.

Just put a little on the tip of a small screwdriver, and wipe inside the boot.

You can also wipe an old plug clean, put a little on the ceramic of the plug, and insert the plug into the wire to get the boot lubricated.

A little on the coil end boot will complete the job, and you will be able to remove and replace the wires for the life of the car without damage or undue strain during plug service.

A gentle twist back and forth on the boot top whilst pulling up, and they come right out.

Take care to not strain the wire, and remove them all with the wire guides attached to minimise the possibility of breaking the outer insulation. The heat of a turbo engine compartment will kind of bake them and they will take a set. The least you bend them against their natural curve, the happier they will be.

I've always felt that many people's predijucies against this brand or that is more about poor installation technique...any plug wire will pull apart if not correctly installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

JNR

I used to run Accel wires (and caps/rotors & coils and advance kits, etc.) all the time on my other vehicles and was always happy. Not sure how they are now (weren't they bought by Mr. Gasket), but probably close to any ther aftermarket wire.

I personally always get universal sets and I have a good MSD tool that crimps them real well (uses the vise and extruded pieces) and it allows me to route them cleanly. We have it easy on these engines. Doing a V8 and having them all 1/2" min. separated and parallel (for the most part) proved fun! We're spoiled now with distributorless ignitions and such.

bigblock4g63

i had more returns and failures on accel wires then any other brand of wires that i sold at the shop.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned