The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WPC treatment

G

Staff member
So i was reading that this is better than shot peening. Supposedly it's a japanese process used in high levels of racing like jgtc. click

click

dmj

Must be very expensive,I don't think we need it for our cars though.I like to follow the keep it simple principle.

Dialcaliper

It looks like it's just shot peening with very fine powder media instead of beads, so that it leaves a smoother surface finish.

Unless they've come up with some very special blasting media for it, it seems overpriced (it might be a bit more effective than normal shot peening, but an actual comparison test would be useful).

The result is probably something between shot peening and ISF micropolishing, although it seems that it could be a cheaper alternative than performing both on a particular part.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

click

I did this on my 2.3 crank after I had it cryro-treated.

The crank was so slippery I could barely hold on to it and it was dry. I used it for about 1500 miles and when it was tore down to rebiuld it right, it was still perfect and the coating was still there.

Can't say if it really helps but it doesn't seem to hurt either and it is very resonable.

The crank was $175 for cryro and coating. That price also included treating the bearings.

I would love to do it to the turbo and may if it ever needs to be rebiult.

ktmrider

Quoting Dialcaliper:
It looks like it's just shot peening with very fine powder media instead of beads, so that it leaves a smoother surface finish.

Unless they've come up with some very special blasting media for it, it seems overpriced (it might be a bit more effective than normal shot peening, but an actual comparison test would be useful).

The result is probably something between shot peening and ISF micropolishing, although it seems that it could be a cheaper alternative than performing both on a particular part.

There is a great article in the recent ( and maybe last ) Turbo magazine on WPC and comparisons to conventional coating/hardening processes.
I provides BOTH hardening and "slippery" treating of the metal parts in one process.
Rumor has it that there is some type of teflon or moly component in the media but like most Japanese secrets it's not discussed.
Either way it appears the hype is for real....

Last edited:

curtis

There's other means as well G ..one is ion beam surface treatment (iBEST) where a super large power generation unit builds and stores power until a certain power is stored and then blasts the part. What is left is a part that the dims haven't physically changed but the outside of the part is now perfectly polished and the first full layers of atoms are perfectly arranged the same as cryotreating. Due to the thermal breakdown and anneling during ambient periods between blasts. This eliminates stress risers, seals fractures in the metal, lubricity goes up as well as fatique resistance and wear times. Its part of sandia national labs but the only people I know that do it is QM technologies...I plan on calling them the next time I go into a transmission.

I too read the WPC/Shot peening article in Turbo magazine. I then watched that movie and i'm not really all that impressed. I think I just dont like the salesman on the video. He sounds like a car salesman... jerk.
I bet it does help but I just dont think I believe the whole "microscopic holes" retaining oil... I'd have to see some REAL pictures of the proof. Get a microscopic CAMERA...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts