The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAFT/S-AFC?

im just learning about these piggyback/tuning devices for the galant vr4. i was planning on running a 3" or 3.5" MAFT, a S-AFCII, a C.O.P and a socketed keydiver chip. does that sound correct or am i cancelling one thing or another out? sorry if this is a newbie ? and thanks alot for the help and info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

89coltgt

These can all work fine with each other, but the cop does not really have anything to do with tuning. Have the chip burned to you setup specs, run the maft zeroed out and do your fine tuning with the safc. You will need a datalogger at the least, but it will be best to also use a wbo2 to monitor a/f ratio accurately.

Last edited:

i figured the COP wasnt really a tuning thing. thats just for better spark im gathering? ok great thanks again

89coltgt

Some claim that the cop by itself improves the ignition, while others say you need an msd/cdi amplifier to take advantage of the cop.

Well, that's a lot of goodies there. I use an SAFC1 and a dual image Keydiver chip on my 2g DSM...it's a great combo. Of course your car is not a DSM, but mine is mechanically similar enough to be relevant.

What are your goals? That's a good question to ponder before getting too far into one of these combos.

Theoretically, the MAF, SAFC, and chip could cancel each other out, but in a pairing, they can work well (MAFT + SAFC, chip + SAFC).

MAFT: Are you wanting to use this so that you can vent your bov? Or because you think you'll be overrunning a Mitsu MAS? Either way, you'd want to make large injector compensations with this, and use an afc for fine tuning. The MAFT is great for climates that are nearly constant, as large changes in temperature, or even a rain shower, can throw off your tune.

SAFC: I use one with my chipped ECU for fine tuning. Great combo. You can use one solo to correct for injectors, usually not larger than 650's with a stock MAS and ECU without having timing issues.

Chip: A fabulous thing, mine works like a charm. I've got an image for pump91, and one for e85. Both are nearly spot on, and only a small adjustment is needed with the afc.

COP: These can be more hassle than they are worth from what I've read. The only coils that seem to hold up to constant use are Huyabusa coils (as reported by a local guy who has been through a couple setups). The stock ignition system provides plenty of fire for most cars. I've read of more than one person on national DSM boards who have ditched their COP to go back to a stock configuration.

Hope this gives you some direction.

wow!!! more direction than i can handle...lol. yeah i think id like to atmosphere the B.O.V. i was also trying to keep in mind if i wanted to go with a large turbo and inj. combo. im trying to figure out the easiest least amount of hassle combo for me. maybe a nice set of sparkplug wires, my afc and the chip. ugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I went with the chip/afc combo as a "least hassle" approach. I considered DSMLink (now ECMLink), but that was just one more gadget to have to learn to use. I wanted as close to plug and play as possible, and still have a little flexibility.

i think i am going to go that route also. i can always add and upgrade later. so no atmospheric B.O.V. without the MAFT? ass for wires just a good set of 8mm Accels etc?

You can vent using the stock MAS, but the car will be too rich between shifts and temporarily off-throttle, causing the car to die a lot. The MAFT is the easiest way to safely vent, but there's also speed density tuning, which uses no MAS or MAF, just an array of sensors and some sort of standalone ECU.

As for wires, I've been through all sorts of them, from stock to auto parts store specials, to custom sets, all of them failing eventually. I currently have NGK Blues on the car and they are working great.

dsmer06

I'd skip all that and just go with dsmlink. Vented blow off valves, and cop in my opinion are more for show. From what I've read they aren't worth the hassle.

If you're planning on going to the MAFT, why not just pay $50 more and get the MAFT Gen II? It allows adjustments in airflow at 0.5% increments, so you won't need the AFC. IMHO, too many gadgets just makes tuning more confusing.

yeah i agree,less is more. i already have the brand new afc installed so i was going to work around that. the atmospheric is for show i agree. i think i will be going with a larger turbo than i originally planned so i would be better off with the MAFT than a 2g MAS correct?

The 2g MAS is good for up to about 500hp before you start to overrun it. Unless you are going to be making close to that or more, the 2g MAS is stable and proven. Since you already have the afc installed, have Jeff make a chip for your setup, and you'll have tons of room to grow.

Quoting jdjxr:
would be better off with the MAFT than a 2g MAS correct?

A lot depends upon your goals and use of this car. What fuel will you run? If it is also your daily driver, and you expect factory driveability and reliability, I prefer a factory MAS, like a 2G or 3G MAS. If you think you need to make >425 wheel HP, then it has to be a 3G or EVO MAS, but even that will only take you so far. If you need 500+ HP, then the MAFT or a MAP-based solution is what I would recommend.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned