The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

When turning-need more gas to go AND balance shaft remov mod

tkit213

so basically lets say the car is parallel parked and coming off the curb, when the wheel is turned all the way, it needs more gas to go because it feels "stuck" i guess.

guess i can kinda describe it like if the brakes were slightly applied and you give it some gas as opposed to just driving normally.

could it be a seized center diff or are our cars just like that?

wth?

oh and apparently my car was being worked on and i guess the balance shaft was removed already, do our cars come like that normally? i thought that was a mod. AND what does it merit to do that mod? idk. more power? higher rev to 7.5k? idk. lmk please thanks.

Ted

thanks guys much appreciated.

If the balance shafts were removed someone did modify it. power is not really added but the engine will rev up a little quicker.

click

That link explains that the primary reason for the mod is to eliminate one potential failure (of the balance shaft belt) that can lead as a consequence to failure of the timing belt and the grief that usually ensues from that. It is not a performance mod per se but lessens the chances of your real performance mods turning into expensive junk.
Mike R.

RayH

If you turn the steering from straight to full lock before moving, the power steering pump will be at full load requiring a hair more throttle to get the car moving.

tkit213

thanks everyone much appreciated.

today i was driving the galant.. and stopped at starbucks. had some trouble starting when i went to turn it over, adn when it did this god awful noise came from the motor...

clicking ticking like noise. the oil isnt milky, and i thought there was excess smoke coming out of the exhaust. luckily i got it home.. and NOW the damn thing doesnt start.

i just pulled it out of the shop, where they changed some seals, timing belt, thermostat and some other things up front.
drove fine, until starbucks.
wtf.
im scared. too much oil? timing belt advanced too much? car will kind of try to start but it wont turn over. i was going to try to see if there was smoke and if it was makin the noise still. blah!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Pull the top t-belt cover, and make sure all the timing marks still line up.

tkit213

yeah... had someone check it out. timing is spot on...

hydraulic tensioner for the bottom failed... annnnndddd it jumped. SOOOOO. now i dont know how many are bent exactly, but some valves need to be replaced. quoted by my buddy at about 200 for the labor for tear down and assembly and whatever parts cost. so im looking at basically 500.

im assuming 500. hoping its not any more...

if anyone has a good engine for cheap lmk :-D

sigh.

fail.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
[fail]i just pulled it out of the shop, where they changed some seals, timing belt, thermostat and some other things up front.
drove fine, until starbucks.
wtf.[/end fail]

Lawsuit, or total recompense for shoddy work with new parts, and improper installation.

tkit213

nah i know the guy and hes a good mechanic. he even said he took the part off to make SURE it was installed correctly. i guess the part just failed.

Did he install a NEW tensioner when he replaced the timing belt? The tensioners should never be reused, but I've seen many people reuse them because they supposedly 'look ok.'

Quoting tkit213:
nah i know the guy and hes a good mechanic. he even said he took the part off to make SURE it was installed correctly. i guess the part just failed.

Bullshit. This is exactly why people get frustrated, and sell their car for $500 after their "Friend" who is a "Mechanic" "Fixed" the timing belt.

Tell him if hes so "Good" then he will own up to the responsibility of correctly servicing a 4g63T.

This is why I don't let ANYONE touch my car anymore...

Sorry for your trouble, and good luck!

Barnes

+Juan

You're mechanic doesn't know what he is doing. Sad but true. Don't feel too bad though. This happens ALL THE TIME. It is completely insane how many 'good' mechanics manage to screw up t-belt jobs on these cars. It completely baffles me.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
It is completely insane how many 'good' mechanics manage to screw up t-belt jobs on these cars. It completely baffles me.

Because they are good, and they "know" how to work on cars, they don't bother to consult any instructions. I agonized over my timing tension setting for two days before I felt it was correct.

Barnes

Quote:
Because they are good, and they "know" how to work on cars, they don't bother to consult any instructions. I agonized over my timing tension setting for two days before I felt it was correct.

Exactly!! I followed the service manual to the letter. I spent several hours on my first t-belt job checking and double checking the tension. That, and I replaced EVERYTHING!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts