The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HKS VPC guys check in please

So I am trying to seal this car up nice and tight and IMO its a joke that HKS thinks that this little rubber o ring and nut is good enough to create a strong enough seal at 20+ psi. It was leaking, bad.

Is there anywhere I can get an aluminum bung in size 6 mm x 1.00? EDIT: Ok upon further research 6mm is 1/4 or .2362.

Here is an aluminum bung, so that solves that.

Also, my IAT is installed in the IC pipe before the TB and the HKS instructions say that it is to be installed after the TB. What are your thoughts on this? Is it absolutely neccessary to have this sensor after the tb? I really want to make this vpc/safc combo work before I ditch it for an ems.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in my experience. I've even run without it.

As for sealing it, think pipe thread tape.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

When I ran a VPC the sensor was mounted before the throttle body. I had a bung welded onto the intake pipe and the sensor screwed into it so it didn't leak.
My car also ran without the sensor. I broke it while doing a headgasket job and ran it for almost 1 month without the sensor.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting Nate:
Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in my experience. I've even run without it.

As for sealing it, think pipe thread tape.

I agree, I ran the VPC for 3-4 years and never even installed the IAT and it worked perfectly fine.

Nate, the ic pipe wall is too thing for any kind of secure seal, even with pipe thread sealant or teflon. Need at least a 1/4 inch. The bung will solve that.

JB weld is a negative, it will never again find its way onto any of my cars. The heat cooling cycle over extended periods of time seems to be its weakness. I'd rather not take that chance.

Wonder why hks supplied an aits if you can get by without it. For now I'll just leave it in the ic pipe.

Thanks for the replies.

BadVr4

i used jb weld on mine, and my car gets very hot and it holds up just fine. put it in the throttle body elbow on the back facing down and you will never see it. the throttle body does not get very hot and you wont have any problems.

Last edited:

spooling92vr4

mine was tapped into the throttle body elbow when i had one.. then i had a bung welded with some teflon. worked fine...

ps: my car ran like absolute sh*t without the air temp sensor... now i have aem and its so poorly tuned it runs like my vpc car witout the iat

You can also lock the IAT value the the EPROM sees, and permanently run without the VPC IAT.

Jeff O., you wanna elaborate a little?

atc250r

Staff member
FWIW, that set up you have there is NOT the way that it came from HKS. When it was new, the VPC kit came with an adapter that went from 1/8" pipe thread to the thread of the temp sensor. You drilled and tapped the intake piping to accept the 1/8" pipe thread, screwed the adapter into the pipe, and then put the sensor into that. If you do it the way you're thinking with a nut on the inside you can imagine the mess that it would be if that nut fell off. Someone put that set up together, it wasn't like that originally. I can look to see if I have a picture of that adapter but its pretty self explanatory. You could probably make one out of an 1/8" hex head brass pipe plug. Just drill a hole through the center of it and tap the hole for the thread pattern that is on the sensor. IIRC it is either 8mmx1.25 or 8mmx1.50.

John

John, I've seen what you are talking about, the hksusa website has a picture of the hardware.

I'm going to just have a bung welded on the ic pipe and then screw the aits into that.

Polish

That is a good solution, imho. Good call.

Quoting number638:
You can also lock the IAT value the the EPROM sees, and permanently run without the VPC IAT.

Jeff O., you wanna elaborate a little?

No, different issue completely. The HKS IAT probe is only connected to the VPC, not the ECU. It corrects the AFR for intake temperature changes by adjusting the output Hz of the VPC to the ECU. My code changes are so that you don't need the resistors in the VPC harness that lock the ECU's IAT voltage to a fixed value.
The VPC has both its own BARO and IAT sensors, which it uses to finetune the AFR, by adjusting the Hz, as I said. Although intake temperatures might only seem to be having a minimal impact on your AFR, I recommend installing it as HKS instructs.

Well, I'm a dumbass and ordered the wrong size. That or NPT is differet from PT. HKSUSA.com lists their sensor mounts as "PT".

And on a side note, no wonder companies are going broke left and right. I ordered two bungs from the company I listed in my first post and they send them to me in a box sized 12x8x6 with quite a bit of paper. Its nice to see a company wanting to pack their products securely but really, two bungs aren't going to recieve much damage. They could have put the bungs in an envelope and saved themselves a couple dollars and it would've arrived all the same.

Looks like I will just call HKS and probably order the "mounts" from them. I should have done that in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

By the way, if there are any authorized HKS dealers on here, I need to order these "mounts". Other than that I will just end up ordering from whoever google turns up from a search.

Here

Christ, its amazing that I was the strongest sperm, I swear.

edit: In looking at this closer maybe the hks mount is an adapter. We'll see.

Still messing with that VPC...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif VPC + Big cams + big injectors + big turbo = nightmare.

Dude just get yourself an EVO mas and a keydiver chip and call it a day.Not trying to be rude but you are never gonna get decent driveability with using A/C with your setup Mike.

I'm not so worried about the AC at this point. I will need a bung welded on for when the car gets an ems anyway. I'm just trying to seal up all the leaks.

Might want to figure out which EMS you are going to be using and what size bung you will need before you waiste time trying to weld a bung on for the VPC sensor.

Easy solution for the VPC sensor,have a couple of beads run,grind flat,drill and tap.Once that's done get it polished so you can keep your bling factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If I recall, doesn't the EMS use a GM-style IAT sensor? If so, you *should* be able to use that same sensor with the VPC. I think I compared the resistance curves a few years back, and they are very close.

Quoting Darren:

Easy solution for the VPC sensor,have a couple of beads run,grind flat,drill and tap.Once that's done get it polished so you can keep your bling factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thats a good idea, thanks.

Jeff, not sure. How long do these ait sensors usually last anyway?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts