The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

battery voltage reading

ercp98

has anyone noticed their battery voltage reading drop from 14.5 to 11.1/10.9 after they switched on their electrics; headlight, fogs, radio and heater fan?
when i noticed this, i immediately rev-up the engine. this did not do anything. the voltage barely move to 11.4. i understand that with all the electrics on, the battery and alt is given an extra load. but i thought the alt and voltage regulator was suppose to keep the voltage up in the 13 volt range.
could all this mean that my alt is on its way out again? or my battery is not taking on extra charge because i moved it in the trunk? i have the battery grounded to the shock tower. will adding more grounding points for the battery improve this situation?

Hertz

Staff member
Where are you reading this from?

Do a sanity voltage check right at the battery.

Do you really turn 14.5 with no load? That's pretty good.

Did you get a 75A or 90A alternator?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Check with a multimeter at the battery terminals. You have to get more than 12.6V at the battery, as that is standing battery voltage, in order to actually maintain charge in the battery, but obviously it should stay higher. The colder the regulator or sensing equipment believes it is, the more it will influence how much voltage the regulator will send to the battery through the alternator output. The FSM details all of this with temperature changes, and how it affects output voltages. 12.6 is still not enough, so any voltage below that, or on par with that is showing a system that has links that are not up to par, period.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

I think you should check the alt too. That can be working fine, but the battery might not be holding a charge right.

My logger was reading 14.xx the other day.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned