The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

so anyways.... engine stopped

Diego

so anyways i was lettin my car idle the other day and i let it idle for about 4 mins, and out of nowhere my engine shut off and it wouldnt start anymore.. would it being 18 deg outside have anything to do with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

someone help please..
tia

autobahntom

start with simple things:
does it crank?
battery cables tight?
out of gas?
water in gas?
you said 18 degrees, ice in gas?

then check for spark?
all four cylinders have spark?
can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key?

Tom

Diego

all things on top check.. were all good no water in gas unless it came in some wierd way.
going to get new plugs and wires hopefully that works...
thnks

Water accumulates in the gas tank by condensing out of vapor in the air inside the tank and running down the walls. Keeping the tank full most of the time and reducing the amount of air inside helps to keep this to a minimum. If your gas has any ethanol in it it's hydrophylic and will suck up water. It wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of fuel drier in the tank.

Also check the battery terminals and make sure they're clean and tight, and wouldn't hurt to check the voltage at the fuel pump and make sure it's working properly.

vr4play

Pull the oil cap and have someone crank it over and make sure the cams are turning. Could have lost a timing belt. Happened to me idling in the garage. Luckily mine only jumped 3 teeth so it wouldn't run but it didn't hurt any valves.

Dialcaliper

You can accomplish the same check by simply putting a breaker bar on the crank pulley and turning it clockwise with the oil cap open, rather than actually crank the starter (which can spray oil out the cap and make a mess if you're not careful)

Yep, x2 on check the timing belt, hell its 3 little bolts to just pull the top cover and visually check it. Also check the basics, fuel, spark, air. CEL? pull codes. That should give you a place to start.
Hey qship, I'm in Eugene too, I've seen a couple green GVR4s around town, Jesse said he knew the owners...(not surprising).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned