The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

coolant found here would mean?

fastasleep

I changed the oil in the galant last week and noticed some coolant on what appears to be part of the housing and I believe the lower timing assembly adjacent to it. Not enough to really puddle, but enough to notice. I can't identify where it could be leaking from. Any thoughts? Within the past few days the car started to reach operating temp much faster than usual and it started to overheat just now as I pulled into my parking spot. For the past two winters it's been so cold that the temp gauge won't reach op temp while cruising on the highway. Bad T-stat? Old/low coolant? Haven't flushed it in a while...

fastasleep

For what it's worth, she's been idle surging pretty bad, but I assume it's from the cold weather.

G

Staff member
Need a brighter pic.

Terry Posten

The metal ring that has 2 steel nipples coming out of it, that is between the oil filter and the housing, is a water cooled "radiator". Are the rubber lines leaking? Is the "radiator" leaking?

The other thing it could be is the water pump. It sits directly above the oil filter. It has a gasket to the block that can leak. It also has a rubber seal that seals the water pipe that can leak. It also can leak at the water pump shaft.

Could be coming from a lot of places. Better get it fixed soon.

fastasleep

So it looks like the only way to diagnose it is to start taking things apart?

I'm thinking that it's probably the water pump. I doubt it has been replaced in 100k mi. If I buy a water pump from JNZ, I assume that it will come with all the gaskets and rubber seals that could be responsible (if it's not the pump itself)?

G

Staff member
No, all you have to do is degrease/ clean it up real good, then get under it while it's running to see where it's leaking. If it's a big enough leak you may not even have to clean it first.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting fastasleep:
So it looks like the only way to diagnose it is to start taking things apart?

I'm thinking that it's probably the water pump. I doubt it has been replaced in 100k mi. If I buy a water pump from JNZ, I assume that it will come with all the gaskets and rubber seals that could be responsible (if it's not the pump itself)?

Yeah, I replace water pumps every time I do timing belts on these cars. The water pump (any I have ever purchased) comes with the gasket and the o-ring for the water pipe. I doubt either of those are leaking, I'm thinking the water pump is bad. Don't let it leave you stranded! I had 96k on my eclipse, original water pump, and I got stuck 3 hours from home when the bearings went out on it.

I vote water pump. Take the timing belt cover off and see if there is any pooling. That should either confirm or eliminate.
Mike R.

fastasleep

I'm contemplating getting the timing belt done also as I'm at 102k, with it having last been done at 64k.

Exactly what parts do I need to order for that?

Terry Posten

Do you still have the balance shafts?

Go to www.partsdinosaur.com to get all you need. I think he even sells a complete kit. But I would recommend a OEM timing belt.

Terry Posten

fastasleep

I do still have the balance shafts.

Parts dinosaur's kit, includes Fennor timing belt, balance shaft belt, t-belt tensioner bearing, t-belt idler bearing and balance shaft idler bearing, but NO tensioner(s) for $89.90

DSMParts.com's kit uncludes an OEM timing belt, timing belt tensioner, balance belt, balance belt tensioner, but NO bearings for $249.95

What do/don't I need to replace? OEM > Fennor?

dmj

Like Vman said pressure test first, it is better to find out where the leak is than replacing water pump etc and still have a leak from some where else.

fastasleep

Are the Flennor belts and Preferred Component bearings kosher?

Spyder

Might as well change the timing belt and everything else since you have that many miles on the current one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts