The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I need starter help

GVR4_1057

I need to get a starter as my current one is super weak. There seem to be lots of mitsu starters that will fit up. Is there any ones that fit our cars that are stronger than the stock replacement?

I have seen 1.2 KW replacements. Does anyone know the KW of the stock ones?

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

I have found a beck arnley new starter that is rated at 1.4 KW. for around 200.00. The OEM unit at JNZ is 132.00, But I do not know the rating on it. I have a 2.3 stroker so it would make sense that the starter would have more load on it. I really do not want to make the wrong move here. Any advise on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14bCrazy

Why not call JNZ and ask if they know what starter comes on the 2.4 motors.

GVR4_1057

I am not sure if it will mesh up with the AWD flywheel? I am leaning toward the 1.4KW model.

Dialcaliper

The factory service manual rates the same OEM starter at 1.2KW, for all models including both the 2.0L DOHC and 2.4L SOHC (1993), both M/T and A/T models. 90 and 91 SOHC models use a 0.9KW starter.

The 1.2KW starter motor appears to the same on all of them - the different bellhousing between AWD and FWD models positions the starter properly for the appropriate flywheel

Quoting GVR4_1057:
I need to get a starter as my current one is super weak. There seem to be lots of mitsu starters that will fit up. Is there any ones that fit our cars that are stronger than the stock replacement?

I have seen 1.2 KW replacements. Does anyone know the KW of the stock ones?

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

^ Thanx DC. Just what I was looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts