The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tachometer doesnt work, RPM function on S-AFC doesnt work

Ok, So the car was delivered today.

Couple of issuses I'm working on, that have me stumped. For startes, the tachometer doesnt work. With the car turned OFF, the needle is at the 9k position. With the car started, it stays in the 9k position. Also: the RPM function on the S-AFC doesnt work.

What could be the problem?

I didnt have much time to troubleshoot the issue, I had to get ready to come to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tia,

Geoff

Polish

The RPM signal wire going into the AFC, I'd check that. Perhaps the splice came apart.

I thought about that too..... But the Tach doesnt work either..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Usually those 2 don't even use the same signal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If I recall, the AFC instructions are to connect the AFC tach rpm wire to one of the CAS signals. The dash tach gets its signal from either a tach driver module on the coilpack (1990 DSM and older Mitsubishi) or from the "TAC" output of the transistor on newer cars.
If you mix components, say a 1991+ ECU on a 1990-style ignition system, the ECU will screw with the tach pulses. Is this something that just started?

Yes Jeff,

From what the previous owner tells me, it just stopped working.
The car is a 91 GVR4 with 91 GVR4 harness that came with the car.
I really dont know where to start as far as the tach is concerned, however I'll check to see what ECU is in the car, and the coil paxk. I would ASSUME the coil pack is a 91+ because it's connector is specitif to 91+ cars.....

Last edited by a moderator:

**Update** I tapped the the gauge cluster, and the needle fell back to it's starting position. My only question iws HOW THE F it got stuck at 9K!!!

Anyhow, I traced the S-AFC issue...... YUP!! Broken green wire. :b

BrokenSAFCwire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GVR4ZUM

I can't tell, was it soldered or just twisted on. If you have access to soldering iron, solder it and put electrical tape.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts