The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How the heck do I remove this? another question?

Lancer99

Ok so im rebuild the motor and I ran into a problem how do I remove the gear for the timing belt and balancing belt? This puppy Im talking about...V

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Use a large pry bar and wedge in between a beefy part of the crank inside the valley (oil pan off of course), then use a breaker bar with proper socket and "lefty loosy". That bolt is not on there very tight. It should not be hard to get off.

If your afraid of using a bar inside against the crank, put a few flywheel bolts back into the back end of the crank and then use same bar across the bolts to hold the crank from spinning (need two people).

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Uh you have to remove that big azz bolt first.

Quoting lancer99:
Ok so im rebuild the motor and I ran into a problem how do I remove the gear for the timing belt and balancing belt? This puppy Im talking about...V

Make sure you mark which side of the "index plate" (behind the crank gear) goes out. A local shop put it on in reverse and it ate up some of my friend's valves b/c of it. If you don't have a 22mm for the bolt, you can put a half inch ectention in the "square" hole

Lancer99

Did not know it was bolted it on I thought it slides off like old school ones. But thanks I was about to use a puller on it.

Scoops

NYC86ZC

Good luck. Mine took about an hour to pull off. After i removed the locktited crankbolt I realized the previous person who worked on the car locktited the pulley on as well. I ended up destroying the plate that sits behind the pulley. I was finally able to pull it off with a puller.

GVR4_1057

A little propane torch heat really helps overcome loctite.

Disconnect the fuel pump. Put a long handle wrench over the bolt. Disconnect the clutch switch and put car in neutral. Bump the starter.

Yao

2nd the impact gun

misterfixit

that engine is upside down on a bench starter won't help. but is the chosen method when on car. put a hefty block of wood between the balance weignhts on the crank and the block and get an impact gun on it. pulley should just slide off after, if it doesn't heat it up.

Rich

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting kryger:
If you don't have a 22mm for the bolt, you can put a half inch ectention in the "square" hole

Be really careful if you use a 1/2" extension. I have seen the crank bolt split open making it a nightmare to get it apart. Spend the $10 or $20 for a 22mm (7/8" will work) 6 point socket.

John

lunchbox

Defernately do what John said.

Impact wrench is your friend, and a little puller can take it off when you are done. Dont screw up the crank threads and pay attention to how the spacer plate goes in there.

Vman911

make sure you put that bolt bacl on with some locktite..You do not want to see that sucker come off....

Use a long breaker bar to get nut off. 4ft pipe works the best. Some of those bolts are on tight as hell.

Lancer99

Is it worth saving a valve cover that is filled with sluge? I got most likely 40% off of it as of right now but damn it took me maybe a good hour to get there. The only reason I ask its because its a red one and I like it alot.

Scoops

G

Staff member
Is it cracked? If not i'll take it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned