The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heater

I just bought my first gvr4 and it is full of little problems. My main concern since its getting damn cold outside and the heater only works when it wants to. I checked the plug back behind the knob and the one on the blower motor itself and they were both good. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
Check the condition of your thermostat & coolant?

I guess I should have been more clear. Its not that its not blowing hot air, its just not blowing as in the blower motor under the dash will not turn on and blow air through the core. It sometimes kicks on and it blows good warm air.

If your fan is turned to say level3, it won't work then all of the sudden it will?

short to ground???

Hertz

Staff member
I thought that the resistors went bad, but the symptom was typically that it only worked on full-blast (fan). I tried searching for info but failed. I do remember that Keydiver had the info.

Wizardawd

Correct, a typical bad resistor will cause the blower to only work on high speed (it bypasses the resistor at full blast).

A fan that occasionally works is going to be a bad relay or motor itself. Motor is simple enough to remove and check for debris, rust and ease of operation. I've often seen blower motors that will 'stick' and a simple kick and they work again for a while, but obviously need to be replaced.

A relay is easy enough to check since there are other relays that are the same. Find the blower motor relay (may be listed as heater) and switch with another. I believe the power window relay is the same. Relays usually fail from moisture getting inside and gumming up the works or just the constant arching at the contacts causes corrosion.

It could also be the switch as well, but the motor and relays are far more common.

Wiz

I am going to try the relay. When it doesnt work, it just doesnt all together, even on high. Does anyone have a pic of the fuse box cover so I can see what relay/fuse is what?

cspetros

I just replaced my blower relay yesterday.

It's a metal cylinder looking relay directly above the interior fuse block.

The fuse for this relay is a 30A fuse (the only 30A one I believe) located on the bottom-most row of the block.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Quoting Hertz:
I thought that the resistors went bad, but the symptom was typically that it only worked on full-blast (fan). I tried searching for info but failed. I do remember that Keydiver had the info.

Yes, if the fan only works on HIGH SPEED it is the resistor. If it intermittently doesn't work at all, on any speed, it is usually that relay. #1886/2000 had that problem at one time, and I noticed that if I kicked around the fuse box the fan would usually come on, which led me to the relay being the real problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts