The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Master Cylinder, rebuild or replace

Hertz

Staff member
Should I go with a rebuild kit and clean up my existing clutch master cylinder or buy a loaded master and be done with it?

I've got a spare master and time to work on it, not sure what tools/technique I would need to clean up the inside of the cylinder (or if it is necessary)

TIA

Buy new, aluminum can get out of round, and it may not work as well. The bore may also have scoring.

Terry Posten

I'm with Jon, buy new.

But what ever you do, at least they are not hard to replace and re-bleed. It is only about a 1/2 hour job.

I say buy new.. I got re-build kit from vauto-zone and it has never worked properly since. before it worked fine but noticed a little bit of fluid residue in car by master. could be cause the rebuild kit was from autozone that it is gimpy

Rausch

Between the rebuild kit, the hone (if needed) and the time, you're better off just replacing it.

If it wasn't so cold, I'd suggest we get about 10 people together to make sure it gets done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Looks like the hardest part will be chipping away the stalactites that have formed around the bolts. The whole thing is crusty. I only inspected it from the cabin, once I actually decided to pull it out I saw that it was rusty/growing something. It's soaking in PB right now.

I'd guess it is original 200k+ miles.

Rausch

Mine looked that was as well, soaked for a day or two, and they came right out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2600 was kind enough to point out every potential flaw in the system with the first couple weeks after install. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

Bring her over Hertz, we'll get it fixed.

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Yeah, I'll drive it all the way there in 2nd or 3rd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I posted a long time ago about a dealer I had found on ebay with OEM master cylinders under the manufacturer's name. They were about $45 shipped.

ercp98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, I'll drive it all the way there in 2nd or 3rd."

just match the rpm's when you shift and you'll be ok. i had to drive the vr4 from
downtown chicago to oak park on division street that way because the master and slave cylinder decided to break. i had to drive very creative to avoid stop lights and other cars with out stalling or stopping completely.

G

Staff member
I thought tokico was the oe? I would confirm in caps that the unit from the e16a & the e18a are the same as e39a.

Last edited:

CP

I've got a spare 1G OEM one (bigger resevoir) I could have sent to you...

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting G:
I thought tokico was the oe? I would confirm in caps that the unit from the e16a & the e18a are the same as e39a.

I got my clutch master from Rock Auto last night, it was a reboxed Nabco, exactly the same as stock.

WIN!

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
I think I'm failing at bleeding this bastard. Any hints?

I was able to drive about 5 miles the other night until it started to get more and more difficult to get into gear, eventually locking me in neutral.

Tonight, I crack the bleeder on the slave... nothing, I keep backing it out, take it all the way out and no fluid comes out. Reservoir is full. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

I tried about 5 times: crack the bleeder, push in the clutch, tighten the bleeder, pull the clutch up, repeat.

Do I need to just keep at it?

I'm getting frustrated and this should be something simple.

More background:
No fluid leaks, boots are dry, adjusted the pedal, observed full clutch actuation.

Hertz

Staff member
No.

I have no idea what that means, have to go look it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts