The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing inner valve cover baffles

89coltgt

How is the baffle removed and reinstalled?

jepherz

Staff member
They are just installed with some metal cylinders that are sorta mushroomed on top. I removed and reinstalled one by welding on aluminum tabs along the sides. I have also seen others install sheet metal screws and tack them to the baffle. The problem is that the cover is aluminum, and the baffle is steel.

bustedsm

John, spot weld and then crush the weld onto the baffel that way it will stay put.

stevep

Don't use screws. Having one drop into the valve train would spoil your day.
The original castings have "rivets" in them that they mushroom when they install the baffle.

Last edited:

pachood_1953

Do they NEED the baffle? I have a spare VC I was kicking around the floor for months and it got all full of sand. No matter how much I clean it, I still wouldnt be comfortable putting something on that may have sand hidden somewhere..I'd like to get it powdercoated or something since its pretty much mint IIRC.

866galant

i sent mine out to get powdercoated and removed the baffle, i would like to know if i could keep it off too

powerplay

There are two separate chambers under the baffle. Here are a couple of pics. I don't think it would be a good idea to leave it off.

14u2nV

Isn't the baffle just there to give you some air space for the pcv valve so it doesn't suck oil? If you have a catch can, I wouldn't think you would need it, though you may be emptying it more often.

G

Staff member
Why are you thinking about removing them & reinstalling?

EMX5636

Quoting 14u2nV:
Isn't the baffle just there to give you some air space for the pcv valve so it doesn't suck oil? If you have a catch can, I wouldn't think you would need it, though you may be emptying it more often.

This is pretty much right. You need some sort of baffle in there to keep from filling your catch can (I've seen one fill within a day or two without baffles in). Worst case if you can't get the stock ones in, just build a flap to cover most of the port out of aluminum, and have it tacked in. But you should have something there to keep the oil from being blown/splashed out.

Justin

Polish

My friend tried to run without one (Baffle), Catch can was full in like .5 seconds.

Highly NOT recommended.

bustedsm

Corey, was he running anything larger than the OE vent ports? If so, that's why. I never filled up the cans once with the -8 lines on the cover and no baffles.

Polish

No, just hoses clamped to a gutted PCV and the stock breather port.

It could have been a week or so, I don't recall but it filled fast. His motor was a little sloppy though, had some blow by and such.

Either way I do not suggest it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bustedsm

That's why! The stock PCV system on an unbaffled cover will blow oil into the cans without hesitation because it's a much smaller space for the blowby to occupy. Like I said, it's different with the -8 fittings on the cover, but it's really owner's choice.

89coltgt

Quoting G:
Why are you thinking about removing them & reinstalling?

I was planning to weld in two -8 an bungs on the vc so it really needs to be disassembled in order to do this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned