The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E85 to pass emissions?

Hey guys, I have a question (havent had one forever, Im long overdue)

Has anyone here run a 50/50 e85/gas mix or straight e85 to pass a dyno-emissions test? My car has a bad cat, It was in the car when the previous owner blew the engine and turbo, and that much oil destroys catalytic converters, theres no way its good. Ill probably replace the cat, but if the e85 idea works, ill do that as well. Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_S

Tried it and it doesn't work. Leans out the car but then your NOx goes up. Just buy a $60 catco cat from summit, clamp it in for the test and you will pass with flying colors. That will get you by even if all other emission components are removed.

JNR

I hear 87 octane is wise to use on a smog test and be sure to drive the car for awhile prior, so it gets nice and hot (cat). The hardest part for me is going to be the visual; all because I don't have an oem air filter box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yao

Funny you posted this, I was at the Emmission station last Sat. trying to pass with full E85 with only Jeff's chip and NO way of Tunning. All I can say is ALMOST!!! my HC failed me at 1.9 and the limit is 1.5. They even showed me the graph or area under the Curve(limit) and the entire test the car stayed under the curve*way under the curve until he ACC. everytime he would ACC. the HC, NOX CO would skyrocket.... I think Jeff is a little happy on Spooling the turbo. Anyway, I have until this SAT to do another test so my 25 bucks wouldn't go to waste. Because of this incident, I have decided my Eclipse would get the Speed Density sooner then I anticipated and I have since moved the E-manage from Eclipse to my Galant and have been playing with it all week. As the way it sits, I have 20% less fuel accross the board below 4k and it would still drive with no ill effect on Jeff's chip. I will let you know this SAT if I pass or not with E-85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Im not throwing a piggyback on this car to pass it.

Ill just have to get a cat, ugh those bolts are probably so rusted on...

I'm intrigued to see if you pass or not. I'm in Michigan, so I dont need to worry about emissions, but I always like to know more about the greatness of e85.

from the looks of it though, like others are saying, the NOX and such will go crazy, but with some tuning I'd like to see how much better it does.

Yao

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif PASSED with flying color. Mind you this is Full E85 on Rollers here in colorado. Numbers are as followed:

HC PPM 76.8 Limit:220 PASS
CO% 0 Limit:1.20 PASS
CO2% 9.7336 Limit:12.0653 PASS
NOX forgot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is on Stock bottom and top with HKS 264cams/850cc/3"cat/E-manage/e-85/FP18 and no other emmission equipment on the car with 150K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Incidently, there is a Honda HX side by side with me when doing the test and guess what, he failed! and I pass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned