The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How and Why: PTE Turbo blown

Andy_S

I recently purchased a galant vr4. On the car was a PTE 56-trim. DSM flanged, journal bearing, and internally gated. I drove the car about 10 miles one day then parked the car. Had gone over everything after that, it all looked fine including the turbo. Blades were perfect and no shaft play. I then took another 10 mile drive on another day. Car was then parked as it awaited some parts that were in the mail. Went out today and was going to do a boost leak test. Thats when I noticed that the blades are tore to sh*t and there is noticeable shaft play. The car also has developed an oil leak at this time. I am upset to say the least. I can't figure out what could have gone wrong in the sequence of events that I highlighted above. I had an air filter on the car the whole time also. Why did this happen?

Terry Posten

I moved it for you.

The only thing I can think (if you story is accurate) of is that you staved it for oil. It only takes a little bit to kill one.

PTE can rebuild and the price is usually really good.

Andy_S

Thats what I am thinking. It started leaking from the feed line off the filter housing. Maybe it was blocked by debris/sealant and the pressure build up caused it the leak. Its going back to PTE now. Wish this woulnd't have happened but the damage is done now.

G

Staff member
Ouchies, post some pics.

grocery_getter

Is the damage on the outer edge of the compressor blade (because it touched down on the compressor housing) or is it across the entire blade. Please post a picture of the compressor wheel damage.

3rdstrikedsm

I feel your pain, Pte has a little of a reputation for dsm turbos taking a crap,I really don't know why this but I will be sending mine back to them for a rebuild. If I get a solid season out of one I am happy.

Gordian79

me PTE 3561 took a sh*t three times.All 3 times PTE fixed it for free.first time was that i was feeding from head and too little oil pressure there.second was i started car one cold morning i walk in the house for some coffee and f***ing smoke everywhere when i come outi guess oil was too thick.3rd i was on my way to englishtown and floored it against a porsche and the sh*t blew before i got to track.It sucked but it didnt cost me sh*t since i had warrenty because i was original owner.

3rdstrikedsm

Damn I am feeding my turbo from the head? I thought it was best from the head since that was the 14b feed from the factory. Last time I knew it was the best to feed there since pressure was lower there.

Food for thought.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Nate:
Ahhh, good old FOD in the feed line.

FOD= foreign object damage

Sounds like you have dealt with pte a few times before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Feeding from the filter housing = higher oil pressure.
I was advised to run a -3an line with a restrictor fitting at the turbo.

From the head, the pressure is nominal at best but because many of us remove the balance shafts, that raises the oil pressure. I would run a -4an, use a filter, or restrictor fitting there too.
Also, running a lower weight oil in the winter might help tons in a colder environment in the winter.

My 92 Talon had a rebuilt PTE 50 trim that I fed from the filter housing with a -3an and a feed restrictor fitting. The turbo performed well for the next 2900 or so miles.

I made two trips from DC, to Illinois under heavy boost with no turbo issues til the new owner crashed it.

atc250r

Staff member
I was always under the impression that you feed a journal bearing one from the oil filter housing and a ball bearing one from the head. I have a PTE SCM61 on my car, it has been fed from the filter housing since new and has about 10,000-15,000 trouble free miles on it now. I checked the shaft play a few months ago and it was still great. I had a GT32 from them for a while too but it was too small for my goals so I took sold it. When its time for my next one I wouldn't hesitate to go with a PTE again.

John

Me too. When I has an old SCM61 rebuilt by them, I asked about that too. They told me to take it from the head and go with a -3an line.

Go figure

atc250r

Staff member
I'm no expert but are you sure it didn't ingest something? Maybe a small nut or screw?

John

Andy_S

Nothing at all, I am positive. Only way in would be through a K&N filter. Could compressor surge cause this?

NYC86ZC

From the looks of it I'd say it definitely ate something. The front blades are all dented and you can even see the housing around the blades dinged and scratched. It's as though something was bouncing around in there.

It doesnt look good at all.

grocery_getter

That doesn't have anything to do with oiling/lubrication. Your turbo ate something. Literally. Who made your intake pipe? Is it stainless, mild steel? Tigged? Migged? Corrosion inside? Loose flakes? Inside coating flying off? Weld spatter coming loose? Mig wire stubbies coming loose????

For the answer to your question of what caused this, look inside your intake pipe.

Andre

Terry Posten

Yep, You ate something.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned