The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not building much boost with stutterbox

deez

so I am only building about 3psi with my stutterbox at 5500rpm, and I am thinking I should be building more. Considering my build (e16G at 20psi, HKS 264/272, supporting mods), I dont know if thats right or not. Any input? All of my mods are listed at the link below for the car. Thanks

thecman02

Their must be some kind of boost leak.... or maybe the cams just keep you from building boost as much. I have an e316g without cams and I can usually get atleast 7-8 psi which is actually kind of weak from others I've heard, but its more then enough to spin all four on the line. I've seen as high as 15psi with just stutter.

14bCrazy

We just finished my car and it hits 20 psi with out a problem. I would bet that you have a boost leak. HAve you done a pressure check? If not do one. Have you had your TB seals replaced that is where I had leaks. My seals were toast.

Gimpin

is it a stutterbox or antilag??? A stutter box wont build as much boost as an antilag set up

deez

Its the stutterbox Keydiver burns into the chips. And I haven't checked for a boost leak lately, but a couple years ago I did and all was well. It builds boost when under load just fine, just not with the stutterbox.

Polish

A couple years ago? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I tested mine like every time I planned on racing once I wasted a trip to the track over a stupid torn injector seal.

deez

Every time you planned on racing? Are you OCD?LOL

Polish

No but I'm not wasting $25 in gas to the track, $20 in race gas, and $25 in entry fees to the track only to find out the car isn't making the proper power because I didn't take 5 mins to check for boost leaks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

deez

true.

Flip4G63

Quoting Polish:
A couple years ago? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I tested mine like every time I planned on racing once I wasted a trip to the track over a stupid torn injector seal.

same. i check mine once a week!!

part of my weekly full inspection of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

and the DSMers in town wondr why my cars always run. only time they dont is when i tear them apart to add stuff. or redue something i dont like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i like having nice cars.

ktmrider

Right on Flip and others, see the engine post from Bimmubishi/Alex for a great example of "Attention to Detail".
Also Phil you just hit the 1000 post plateau!

Last edited:

Jostar

I can build 14 psi at 6k on the 2-step on the Keydiver with a GT30R, Bolt on turbo..

Lonewolf64

Deez, my setup is just like yours except I have HKS 264/264 cams. I can build 10psi all day on the 5,500 rpm studderbox. I recommend checking for boost leaks.

PreskitVR4

I had Keydiver too, and I remember having to stand on it for a long time to build 10psi @5500. Just remember, more boost on launch shocks the hell out of everything thus breaking things. Consider yourself lucky if its just the tires. Sounds like boosty leak. The studder box does not have the same effect on the turbo that the exaust volume of a loaded engine does at 7000, because its not actually loaded. This might support the fact that it builds boost under normal driving conditions but not while launching.

Polish

How long are you keeping it WOT?

deez

its at WOT for only about 4 seconds. Does it take longer than that?

Polish

Try holding it a couple more and see what that gets you.

Lonewolf64

It's strange that it would take that long. Are you at a high altitude? Holding at WOT for ~4-5 seconds I get all the boost I would want on launch (~10psi) at a few hundred feet above sea level.

PreskitVR4

One more thing, I'm at 5500 feet on RC 550's and a 16G. I had the same results, at least ten seconds to get any real boost. Fixed it with the antilag feature on AEM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts