The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear- end question v. hardy-har-har

I brought this out to the meet and Jon didn't want to give a definite answer as to what it is so I figured I would post it up. I took some pictures for you guys.

DSC03347.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03348.jpg

Here's a shot of some of the random seals and what-not that I have, there is a ton more.
DSC03343.jpg

As far as I know it s 3-bolt LSD but Jon thinks it may be something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I remember seeing a little mitsu symbol pressed into the side, I'll try to get a shot when I get home. I couldn't be a cusco if it had that symbol pressed in it, could it?

tsiboy

be sure that its not from an auto car be for your slap it onto your car

-alex

The ring gear will always be Mitsu, but there are holes on the side of the actual diff, if you could get a pic of that, then someone should be able to identify it pretty easily. To me it looks like it's not a mitsu diff itself.

Also, the diff has 39 teeth and the smaller dealy-o has 11 teeth. Making a 3.5 gear ratio, I think Jon had said that was good.

Camera battery is dead. I can definitely see gears inside of there, I'll get some more shot after the battery charges.

That is same rear I have on my car. 39 teeth - it has the proper ratio. Mine also has the B17 stamp on the cover.

Dialcaliper

It's really hard to tell - can you shine a flashlight in those holes? It's hard to see anything. The shape of the outside casting, and the rough cast edges on the slots make it look kind of like some of the mitsubishi plate type diffs, or possibly an Evo I-II viscous diff. Many of the Kaaz and Cusco units usually have much more rounded corners and smoother housings.

If you can get a better picture of the innards, it would be possible to at least tell what kind of differential it is.

Also, have you checked to see if your stock 3-bolt (or 4-bolt if you have them) axle splines will fit into the sides?

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

That is not an evo 1-3 rear diff, It almost looks like a us spec auto minivan expo.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts