The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front/rear motor mount replacement

CP

Is there some sort of procedure for positioning the center bolt for new front and rear motor mounts (I didn't refer to the FSM)? I replaced both today with OEM units. I slightly jacked up the motor for both and then tightened the center bolt of each. Should I have allowed the motor to rest naturally and then have tightened them instead? I was attempting to center the holes prior to tightening.

Initial impression is that the change was negligible, despite totally trashed old mounts. The rubber was ripped and sagging in both the front and rear mount. The motor now sits a good 1/2" higher on each end...

14u2nV

They'll be fine. No matter how tight you get it, it will loosen some and "settle" to where it wants. As long as everything is inline, tight, and holds the motor up, your good to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Probably your biggest problem with the wubs....good thing you changed those out!

CP

Unfortunately it didn't really do sh*t, so I'm officially giving up on chasing this issue. EVERYTHING in the driveline has been replaced in the last year and this was my last stab at it. The car still runs and drives just fine, but I've still got these vibrations at certain rpms while in gear over 25mph.

Yao

everything? like front sub/rear sub/driveshaft/axles/intermediate shaft/wheels/wheelbearings/rearend/transfercase/transmission/inner(outter)tierod/steeringrack/lowerballjoint/allbushings/shocks/structs?

Yao

Also, if it's only happening in gear and not nut. then I would suspect tranny or engine.

CP

Well, maybe not everything but all the major systems. Meh, I've spent enough chasing this problem for now.

I assume that the shaft was balanced too.

On rear wheel drive cars, if the angle of the U-joint coming out of the housing doesn't match the angle of the U-joint at the rear diff, the drive shaft will rumble in every gear.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts