The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo help gt30/fpGreen/50trim

as the title states i am looking into a turbo upgrade i am looking at a gt30 with Mitsubishi housing or a fp green or a 50 trim.. i have a galant vr4 my setup is
.03 over block
crower rods
ross 9.0 pistons
1mm over valves
hks 272/280 cams
9lb fly wheel act 2600 clutch
740cc injectors
cooling mist 50/50 meth
dsm link
buscher racing fromt mount
thats just the basics

i just got this car running i am looking to break 11.6 on 20-23 psi and 11.1 on 27-30 psi i have been tunning for years just new to the dsm crowd.. my question is what turbo would suit my needs i here so much good about the fp green turbo.. and the gt30.. i know i need a tranny upgrade but that will come as soon as it blows lol. so lets get some opinions on turbo size. and how much hp will it take to reach my goals. i do have the driver mod 1.603 60ft old street tire 14b turbo 20psi 3 bolt no 2step.. any and all info is appreciated

thecman02

FP3065 is a mitsu flanged gt30. That would be a good turbo for the goal. Ohh... and get some bigger injectors....

turbowop

Go with the FP3052. Brian runs consistent low 11's with his on a full weight car using E85. I also have the same turbo, but haven't been to the track in a couple of years. I went from an FPgreen to the 3052 and love it. The FPgreen was great also, but the 3052 spools a bit better and puts out a tad more airflow.

thecman02

Well... I'd agree with you, that's the turbo I'm probably going to get. But I was thinking if he wanted any chance at running those times with just the piss 91oct gas he might come closer with the 3065. I don't have any info to back that up, but running e85 lets Brian run the mad high psi.

If he got the 3052 he'd probably want to get some meth injection. I don't think e85 is abundant in Cali.

turbowop

He also said he wanted to run low 11's at 28ish psi, which means racegas/meth/e85 anyway, hence my suggestion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you look in my list i have meth... and for e85 there was none i cali besides one in la 300+ miles away, they just opened a second one 5 miles from my house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.. how much power dose it take for a galant to break 10.999 i was thinking 460ish with some weight reduction? and i kinda did not wanna go fp3052 since ill need there expencive 02 housing and downpipe... but its a option. any one have a list of bolt on turbos that will put a galant deep into 11's around there max efficiency?

atc250r

Staff member
You're going to need to be in the 500-550whp range to get the car to go 11 flat. I'm not sure what kind of cars you're used to racing but these cars are heavy, shaped like a brick, and their suspension is far from ideal for drag racing. If you look HERE an FP Red will get you there but technology has come a long way since that turbo was designed, I'm sure there are better choices out there now. I don't think a 50 trim will get you there though.

John

turbowop

Quoting slidesquad:
and i kinda did not wanna go fp3052 since ill need there expencive 02 housing and downpipe... but its a option.

It uses the same downpipe that any other turbo would use. The only extra thing you would need is the v-band o2 housing. It's expensive, but it's a nice piece. Even if you get an FPgreen, I would suggest an external wastegate, which means you're going to need some type of o2 housing to mount it on as well. Unless you do a manifold mounted wastegate.

Brianawd

FP3052. What can I say. 11.1@131mph at 28-30psi. I also have best trap of 131.55mph. Car also runs 11.6-11.7 at 120mph on 23psi. The Green and a 50trim are great turbos but they are getting old. fp3065 is a good chose to with only giving up a little bit in the bottom and mid range to the 3052. I realy feel that the GT30R and the gt35r are the best turbos for a dsm or galant.

looking into it more i am leaning to a hx40... or maybe hx35 whats your opinions on these turbos?

thecman02

Quoting slidesquad:
if you look in my list i have meth... and for e85 there was none i cali besides one in la 300+ miles away, they just opened a second one 5 miles from my house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.. how much power dose it take for a galant to break 10.999 i was thinking 460ish with some weight reduction? and i kinda did not wanna go fp3052 since ill need there expencive 02 housing and downpipe... but its a option. any one have a list of bolt on turbos that will put a galant deep into 11's around there max efficiency?

Alright. I fail for making quick reply and not reading your mod list closely. As for the Holsets... they flow like crazy, cheaper in comparison, probably cheaper to rebuild (maybe). I don't know how the fitment would be though. Might need to do something with the radiator etc.

Brianawd

click
Here is my thing with the holset turbos. You don't see on listed there. You see lots of other turbos just no holsets. You would think after being around for more than 5 years you would have a holset on that list.
I pick turbos off what has been proven to work time and time again. I played the whole game of trying the mutt turbos when they came out. That ended up bitting me in the ass big time. And just so you know the same people that make the housing the the Holsets are the same ones that made the Mutt. Same people that have fucked a lot of good people in the dsm world. Just some food for thought.

ktmrider

Quoting thecman02:
click

Biglady112 is on this site, maybe someone can PM him for an update?!?

chrisb33

well i think the holset option are for guys like me who are not able to afford those $1,xxx turbo's. I just purchased a used hx35 7 blade that's suppose to flow around 60 lbs/m and has been proven (according to the dsmtuners) to spool faster than the evo16g. Im also going to use the BEP bolt on mitsu housing and with that combination, it's rated to reach 500whp with supporting mods. For those who want more power, they go with the hx40.

It has also been proven that these holsets are way durable than any aftermarket turbo's out there. good for 500,000 miles!

for the cost of the used holset, the BEP housing, and rebuilding the turbo i purchased, im just shelling out around $700. Some even lower! much lower!

i'll definitely post a review once im done with my long block rebuild. but thats probably 1st quarter 2009 as im still purchasing stuff on my parts list.

bottom line..for the price, the power, and the durability, nothing beats the holset route. Ive done so much research in the last 8 months on which turbo to buy, ended up with the holset because of the factors that i mentioned above.

chris b

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

how does a turbo spool faster than a much, much smaller turbo and yet still flow so much more? does it defy the laws of physics? is there special alien voodoo in the BEP housing?

strokin4dr

Quoting slugsgomoo:
does it defy the laws of physics? is there special alien voodoo in the BEP housing?

Yes and yes.

thecman02

Quoting slugsgomoo:
how does a turbo spool faster than a much, much smaller turbo and yet still flow so much more? does it defy the laws of physics? is there special alien voodoo in the BEP housing?

I'm not defending the Holset because I have no experience with it, but some of our proven turbos are pretty old design compared to the more advanced designs available that improve spool and flow such as the difference in the new HTA designs. Although I have the same questions how the hx35 spools like a evo316g/18g from the accounts I've read.

Olson

Over on tuners theres 4 huge threads about the Holset's.
Theres I think but i havent found Proof that they do spool stupid fast how i have no clue and they make big power how onece again prob that vodoo magic lol. But they are bricks there heavy and are built to last.
I plan on going with a HX 35-40 with a mistu houseing. Brand new you can find them for under 1k.
Hell of a deal.

Take a look at the FP 30R-HTA. It is basically the best of all worlds. With the FP housing it is bolt on but yet better air flow than a mits housing. It is HTA so you will see improved spool over a normal 30r. Not to mention it has FP's known reliability and longevity. I think it is a .63ar and should flow high 50's for lb/min.

Brent

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts