The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

spark, air, fuel... no idle?

so, i've had my head on and off about 4x in the last 3 weeks. I got my head fully ported, cams, 660 injectors...
a few days ago, i timed my car and started it up. idled fine for 30sec, then the worst noise ever... The intake cam jumped about 40* and the valves went crunch. So yesterday, DSM2GO (Tom) has about 9 heads @ his house and donated some valves to my cause ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I owe you more than todays lunch tom) He and I pulled the head, replaced the valves, didn't sleep, re-installed the head, re-timed the car and now it won't run...
there is spark, fuel (compensated for the injectors on my Maf-T before the timing jumped and had some valves for a snack), air, and compression is @ 150+ across all 4 cyl.
the car will idle @

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
ready to dump 5gals of 103oct in it and throw a match

Check, check, and recheck that the cas is installed correctly, and the timing is correct.

Verify both cam dowels are straight up at tdc, and the timing belt marks all match up correctly.

Do a visual insepction of everything, and make sure it's all plugged back in.

Check firing order.

Do you have a logger? It's worth plugging one in and seeing if the coolant temp, tps and etc are being read corectly at teh ecu.

Then, use 85 octane, it's cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

good call on the 85, but 103 smells sooooo good
we flipped the CAS a couple of times and I have 2 others here from DSM2GO
Timing has been verified

Last edited by a moderator:

brisvr4

Are the wires on the temp sensor for the ecu still ok. You might want to check that they aren't broken. If they are the logger should show the engine temp as around -58 I think.

Last edited:

will check as soon as it is light, in the morning.
thanks

Rausch

^ Good idea. If the logger shows the same negative value, or any big negative value, regardless of th outside temp, there is a problem with the sensor, or more likely the wiring....This would contribute to the vehicle's ability to idle.

When you start it, is it hard to turn over? Does the starter sound like it's bogging down when turing over?

she cranks strongly, sound like all is well when cranking, just like when my ECU shat on me

speedyvr4

It seems like you've tried every logical thing there is to try besides a ecu. I know you saud you rebuilt it, but our mitsu ecus are real shitty and are bound to go any time.worth a shot if their is one laying around to try.

So i measures resistance on every singal part of my car...
good news is that the ECU is good... Bad news, 2 plug wires read "out of limit"
DSM2GO gave me the plug wires off his car to test. Hopefully this does the trick. Will keep you posted
Thank you all for your help and insight.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts