The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Level - Idiot Warning Light

cheekychimp

The two ports on my oil filter housing are currently occupied by the SPA oil pressure and oil temperature gauge sensors.

I realize that these should give far better feedback regarding the oil system and make the idiot light redundant but is there no way to retain the idiot light in this situation?

Does anyone run either of the gauge sensors from another location and is the filter housing the optimum location for both?

jepherz

Staff member
People have run pressure gauges from the stock turbo supply on the right side of the head.

Otherwise, you'll either have to put a "t" in the system somewhere to allow an extra port to be used, or re-configure the dummy light.

Last edited:

is the head an accurate source for pressure. or would the oil filter housing be the preffered spot for a gauge.

Bimmubishi

Paul you might consider a larger light and maybe a 20psi sender. I think that the factory light is a really low pressure sender. You can get a separate 12v bulb and mount it in a blank switch on the dash, get a small AN4 t fitting to run the sender off the turbo oil feed line.

Alex

atc250r

Staff member
You can get a brass "T" to plumb two fitting off of one of the 1/8" pipe fittings that you're currently using.

John

cheekychimp

Thanks guys. I'll look into some of these options. Apparently the SPA sender was a different thread so I'll need to find out what the ports have now been tapped to or go with Alex's suggestion.

Alex why did you advocate using a separate dash bulb, could I not simply install the bulb in the current idiot warning light location and just run a wire to it or tap into the existing harness with the new sender?

atc250r

Staff member
I don't see any reason that you couldn't buy a 20psi sender and wire it to your stock bulb. Keep in mind, you will very likely go below 20psi at a hot idle so the light will come on at that point.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned