The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Purge Control Hose

JNR

Does anybody know if the hose (like 5/8") that comes off the purge control valve goes to the air intake box (pre MAS) or on the intake tract (post MAS)?

The FSM shows it only as an arrow (like a vent) and describes removing it from the intake, but it's not specific if it's the hose or the box. I don't have that oem stuff to verify and will be finalizing my (custom) intake stuff here soon and want to hook everything up properly (mainly for smog). May not be a big deal where I put it, but want to be 100% and only do this once w/o mystery problems.

JNR

thanks, but it's not the PCV line; it's the one that comes off the charcoal canister, then there is a valve (activated from the purge control solenoid on the firewall) and that has a large line coming from the canister, then this valve, and its outlet is the one that needs to connect somewhere on the intake.

ktmrider

It's post-MAS, the inlet right next to the PCV inlet hose if looking at a stock intake tube.
If fact everything is post-MAS, mainly so the sensor element does not get goo'ed up ( technical term there ).
It's also why some folks using K&N or other gauze type filters can have sensor issues if/when they over-oil the filter.

Last edited:

JNR

Thanks ktmrider, that's what I was thinking, although wasn't sure if there was much 'gunk' coming out of there...Also, my other thought was the vacuum created there and/or "extra" unmetered air, but if there's that valve, it shouldn't matter (picture if the valve wasn't there, then that may be an issue).

Pot, I have that same diagram and although they show the purge control valve, it only indicates the vacuum lines connected to that valve and not the outlet hose and where it goes; if you look a couple pages past, it has more detail on that valve, but still doesn't show where it connects; only an arrow, like a vent outlet.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
JNR,
I know what you are talking about and have tried to find a picture that documents that also, but I have yet to find one. I was hoping there was a factory rubber hose on some other engine I've seen, but it either falls off, or is pulled off, or was never there in the first place. My car came with some features barely hooked up, so it was harder for me to have a reference point before the pictures were posted years ago. I know it doesn't get us any further, but that has been my experience.

For those looking at the picture above, the purge valve has two vacuum hoses, one in and one out, and a larger nozzle that has no hose attached or even an arrow indicating where it should be going. Strange .... maybe it's just vented to Atmosphere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned