The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

boost creep...

SleepinGVR4

I'm having creep issues with my E316G. The turbo is ported. If the controller is backed all the way down it holds 10psi fine, but I can hear the wastegate starting to open at 5psi. If I turn the controller up just a little bit it creeps to whatever it wants. The boost controller is a Hallman. The manifold is ported also. I have the BSC tapped in to a barb on the hot pipe as close to the compressor as possible. Any ideas? When I did my build I covered all the bases, or so I thought. I must be missing something. I have a dejon tool BOV mod so i'm kinda limited on vacuum ports.

Flip4G63

i drilled a hole in my hallman and it worked great after that.

you know that hole you drill when you DIY a boost controller drill that hole and it should work wonders.

ktmrider

Where are you tapping the BC from? If pre-IC you may try moving it post IC ( there was an extra nipple on my BOV hardline that was perfect ). This helped mine quite a bit.
Also what IC are you running? Once I installed my non-RS IC it eliminated all the creep I had prior. If you are tapping from the turbo outlet it also makes me think you are getting some restriction in the intake system ( E3 WG should not start opening at 5psi, they have 11psi springs IIRC ).
GL, let us know how things turn out.

SleepinGVR4

Its a ETS core so I don't think thats the problem. I'm just kinda limited on open vacuum ports due to the dodge garage mod.

And Nate I checked the wastegate flapper before I installed the turbo and it was fine.

Nate

I would definitely tap the boost source line from somewhere on the intake manifold after the throttle plate, so that you can see how much is actually getting into the engine. Then make sure your vacuum lines are still good, make sure there is an orifice after the Hallman (or other MBC)'s outlet to help bleed pressure, and after that, take the hallman apart and make sure that things didn't get rusty in there while the thing sat unused - that happened to me about ten years ago.

SleepinGVR4

Tried everything Nate. Took it apart, everything looks fine. I now have the vacuum line for the boost controller tapped into the brake booster line, but the vacuum line from the BC to the brake booster is really long. I'm about to try another BC.

You can see in the pic the boost controller is down by the radiator cap and the vacuum line follows the control cable for the controller back to the brake booster.

OMFGeofffff

Definitely try a new MBC. It sounds like its just that simple of a problem. What happens when you totally disconnect the mbc and hook the wastegate line to a vacuum source?

atc250r

Staff member
Which same thing? Creep or no creep?

John

atc250r

Staff member
If you're getting creep without any boost controller then you can pretty much eliminate the MBC as the cause of your boost creep. Who did the porting on it for you? I've had some pretty good luck in porting them but it takes a lot of time to really do the job right and a lot of commercial shops don't take the time to do it right.

John

Nate

Did you port it in a way that makes it easy for the wastegate gasses to head towards that hole instead of bypassing it?

I had creep with one of my old external gates (60mm HKS) when it was plumbed to get the gasses out the stock wastegate port; I took off the turbine housing, ported the bejesus out of the wastegate port, and the creep stopped immediately. Basically the housing had been ported in a way that made it easier for the exhaust gasses to head through the exhaust wheel rather than going out the wastegate hole.

Do you have any pics of how you ported it?

atc250r

Staff member
+1

The most important area to port is the area above the WG hole. If you remove a bunch of material there the gasses will be much more likely to go out that port. The other place is the hole itself should be opened up until it is nearly the same size as the flapper itself. You want to leave just enough material that the flapper will seal.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned