The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wierd wiper issue??

3rdstrikedsm

My wipers will not shut off no matter what I do with the switch so I un plugged the relay under hood and it now works on medium or high, I am thinking the relay is bad but just dont understand how it can just start out of the blue.

Thoughts?

turbowop

Didn't you just post about your dome light staying on also? I think the speed sensing intermittent wipers and the dimming dome light are part of the etacs system in the car. I've never had a problem with mine but remember reading about other people having issues with it that sound similar to yours.

Wizardawd

I think he's onto something.....

Quote:
A technological highlight of the driver's accessory control system is Mitsubishi's ETACS-IVâ„¢, a 10-function electronic module that controls variable-speed intermittent windshield wipers, wiper mist cycle, fade-out dome lamp and power door locks with key lock-out prevention. The system is also programmed to allow the driver an extra 30 seconds to operate the power windows and optional sunroof after turning off the ignition.

click

Basically just above the fuse box....

Check for severed wires, corroded connectors and/or find another to plug in.

And apparently this is fairly common on these cars. You could always find another relay to swap in for under the hood to check that also, any dsm is a good donor.

Wiz

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Thanks guys, I am looking in to it today and will post my findings.

I was installing door speakers at the time when I noticed this, I wasn't even driving it.

3rdstrikedsm

So this is above the fuse box in the car correct?
I looked and to be honest have no clue what I am looking for, Any idea on the color,shape and exact location?
Is it a relay of some sort?

strokin4dr

I believe it is a silver box about the size of a pack of smokes. If you look above the fuse box you cant miss it.

rez

I tried uploading a pic but it wasn't working for me...

Anyway check page 196 in the B&E manual, it shows the exact location.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting strokin4dr:
I believe it is a silver box about the size of a pack of smokes. If you look above the fuse box you cant miss it.

Damn I just hade the whole dash out when installing a new one and don't remember seeing that but I will look again.

I will also check the manual.

I remember the locks going crazy when I was putting the door pannel back on then it just stopped, I am thinking this is where the problem started now that I know that all of these things are tied together.

3rdstrikedsm

Ok I found that sob now is this gvr4 spec or can one from any galant of the same vintage work?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned