The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing cam seal

GVR4ZUM

I'll be following this somewhat from RRE.
Can I get away with just taking out the cap by the seal, take the old seal out and put the new one in without having to take out or loosen all the other caps? I think there is a groove there where the seal sits so it might be hard. Anybody done it this way? Also use blue loctite for the caps right? I just hope that when I put the new seal in, the Cam gear will slide back in to the cam no problem.

misterfixit

should just be able to lever it out. you should be able to get it out without removing the cap.. just be careful that the dowel pin is not sheared out of line when you pull the cam gears off.

I had to replace both on mine a few months ago when i pulled the engine down. was very suprised when i found them almost snapped. It was from the bolts being so tight on the cam gears. i thought one cam would snap it was so tight. didn't feel like it had ever been apart!

Rich

GVR4ZUM

Oh really, what is the best tool to use to lever it out? Any comment on the loctite? Also, what is the torque spec on the cam gear bolt?
Thanks for responding.

atc250r

Staff member
No loctite on the caps. Once you've got the t-belt and cam gear off you can just remove the cap nearest the cam gear, slide the cam seal out, slide the new one on all the way to the lip, and put the cam cap back on. If you still need the torque specs I can get them for you.

John

GVR4ZUM

Cool, ok got it. Yes please on the torque spec.
Thanks John.

ktmrider

Quoting GVR4ZUM:
Oh really, what is the best tool to use to lever it out? Any comment on the loctite? Also, what is the torque spec on the cam gear bolt?
Thanks for responding.

Cam gear bolt torque spec 58-72ft/lbs or 80-100Nm.
Cam cap spec seems to be 15ft/lbs or 20Nm

pachood_1953

^^Yeah, those numbers are correct..Well, vfaq says 16ft lbs, but I dont think that foot will hurt.

Or if your doing them on an IN LB tq wrench, it would be 192in lb

I just did cams, gears and lifters last night.

ghostinthevr4

I put HKS cams in about two weeks ago, do it exactly how RRE says to do it. I dont think you'll be able to just slide the cam seals in plus yo have to do them one at a time. Leave one came gear on and take off the othe if you take both off you run the risk of slack at the bottom of the belt towards the crank gear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts