The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt loose?

vtecds1

I finally got around to taking out my LTC off this weekend and found out where my leak was coming from. While doing my little inspection, I noticed how my timing belt seemed a little loose on the bottom. Is this normal? The belt is tight everywhere else(including around the camshafts) except at this spot. I`m just worried because on the 3rd pic, It seemed a little to close to the bottom. I`m afraid when I put back the LTC it`s going to hit. Any ideas or suggestions???

normal...

with a little tension...

I`m afraid it`s too close...

Last edited:

gtluke

that does seem loose
and check that bolt you circled, there is one oil pan bolt that is very short, make sure that bolt is in that hole. if not, go find or cut a bolt because you can end up cutting the timing belt.

atc250r

Staff member
The only way to check the tension is to turn the crank a little to take up the slack and then see if you can put a small drill bit or allen key all the way through the hole at the top of the hydraulic tensioner. Actually, you might be able to do one other way but this is the easiest. Go and look on www.vfaq.com and look over the t-belt section, it will give you the info you need to check it.

Oh, and +1 on what Luke said, it seems loose and make sure you have the short bolt there.

John

Last edited:

vtecds1

Quoting gtluke:
that does seem loose
and check that bolt you circled, there is one oil pan bolt that is very short, make sure that bolt is in that hole. if not, go find or cut a bolt because you can end up cutting the timing belt.

Checked to make sure that the bolt wasn't hitting when I was working on it yesterday. All clear on that part. I was talking to my friend that put the motor together and he mentioned hat the reason it`s a little loose is because I turned the crankshaft counter-clockwise when taking the belts out. And it should tighten up once it turns clockwise. Does that make sense?

John...I`ll look into vfaq for the info this weekend.

Thanks again guys!!!

ktmrider

^^ That's entirely possible, all the 4G63 literature strongly suggests turning the crank clockwise only to prevent the belt from losing tension ( as your pic shows very well ).

vtecds1

^^^I`m going to try that also...You guys are giving me hope on this project.

vtecds1

Fixed the problem...It tightened right up as soon as i turned it clockwise. Thanks fellas for the replies.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts