The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My VR-4 Project/Mess

Okay, first off, hi I'm Christine. Picked up #300/2000 last february for a GREAT deal, took some things off and sold them, let it sit around until yesterday, finally started putting it back together. In brief, this post is both to tell you a summary of whats going on with my project and I have a question at the end about wiring. I'm also open to any suggestions on things I should tackle.

Okay to be more detailed... the kid I bought it from had it set-up for hill-climb. The car is EMPTY pretty much inside. He had it set up w/ a big 16g, evo injectors, s-afc, spearco fmic, TRE tranny, wiseco pistons, scat rods, billstein coilovers, tein tops. Decent set-up, not quite my cup o' tea as I drag race, so I'm looking for a lot more power. I sold the turbo, injectors, and afc he was tuning with. I know have an FP3575, vpc/gcc, 660cc inj. I have a polished DNP mani that came with the 3575 but the fitment issues were too great to keep it so I'm using the ported 2g mani that came with the car. I'm looking for a 44mm gate (thats the only thing I need now, see my WTB post if you have one).
Okay now I want this car to be more than just a racecar (I'm just throwing it together this week because there is a track day on the 10th I want to run at). I want it to be a CLEAN racecar with a hint of street (Im going to register it but not drive it a whole lot other than to the track and to cruise). Over the winter I need to do some serious cleaning up. I mean... there are holes cut into the dash for guages, hacked up wires EVERYWHERE, harnesses that go to nothing, the cage in the car is ghetto and not even legal for the track, the way it sits in there I can't even put door panels on the back doors. I have to put carpets in, a LOT of various interior panels. Swap a bunch of body panels, the hood is all messed up as it had flown up on the car (why I got the car for so cheap). The carbon fiber trunk lid fits very poorly and leaks.

Luckily I have a parts car outside so I have access to most of the things I need, but I don't even know where to start with all these wires. Has anybody on here gone through a wiring clean up in one of these cars and have a list of what some of my dangling wires may be (because obviously its not attached to something that may run, could be wires for AC or idk if it would be something to do with the AWS (it isnt anymore)). I mean they are everywhere... and I suck at electrical and at cleaning stuff (even the house haha). So I just don't know where to start with it! Haha. Okay any input in regards to my ramblings would be awesome. Thanks guys

strokin4dr

Welcome!!! Sounds like you have quite the project ahead of you. As far as wiring goes, I have been through all of the chassis harnesses and the engine harness to remove wires that I do not need for my setup, so I am pretty familiar with the wiring now. I would either need pics or a detailed description of wire location, color and connector to be able to help you with your mess though.

Quote:
The carbon fiber trunk lid fits very poorly and leaks.

Do you happen to know where this lid came from? Is it one of Paulo's pieces? Post a pic if you can. Nobody has ever posted a problem about them leaking before.

-Ryan

Hey thanks. Okay I'll try to take some pictures this week when I get back in the garage. Only problem is I like a lot of these wire messes are things that have been customely rigged up... but maybe you will still recognize them. Idk where the trunklid came from, and its painted white because he said the casting didnt look great when he received it. It just doesnt line up well.

Ok I'll post some pics later.

CarRacer

Welcome, PM iceman69510 with your VIN and badge number. That will allow him to update the Registry of the cars.

+1 on the pics of the car and good luck with your purchase.

turbowop

To help us help you identify wiring, first take a pic from far back, circle the area in red using something like MSpaint, and then take another close up picture. This way people get a better idea at the area of the wiring.

I know how crazy wiring can get. My car has a Maftpro, electric gauges, wideband, datalogger, turbo timer, stereo/amp/speakers, and then a meth system that has various wiring for switch, relay, light, pump, boost controller, hobbs switches, etc, etc. Even though I do a pretty good job at keeping my wiring neat and tidy, lifting up the carpet in my car reveals a confusing mess that only I can decipher with any ease. I would feel pretty bad for anybody that had to figure out a wiring issue on my car without my help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I've purchased cars with wiring messes before. It's not fun.

EMX5636

Looks like you have a pretty good overall setup though... Esp if the price was as right as you make it seem. Good find! Get that baby back together, and some pics!

Justin

oh - and a PM is coming your way.

yes electrical problems do suck but long as you take a detailed pic im sure someone on here can help you. I had a question for ya did you happen to get a exhaust from certified muffler? made for you gvr4? Garfield wright a board member who sells those exhaust said he had a female customer in ct that was getting a exhaust made for a gvr4, just wondering if it was you. Btw it is a killer exhaust and you will love it!

Oh wow, thanks for all the replies! I took some pictures yesterday but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to put them up. I took 2 quick ones on my cell though, I can put those up right now

so here are my mobile uploads just for now. i took pics of the electrical mess on my camera but dont know when ill have them up here
glantd.jpg

glantp.jpg

and yes there is a hood on the roof lol.

ktmrider

Welcome to the site.
Sounds like you are starting off heavy, I personally would look for a complete wiring harness ( both ECU and console ). They surface from time to time.

strokin4dr

With that Galant and the 1g in the background, you must have your hands full. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Get those wiring pics posted up and I'm sure we can help you out.

thadirtybird

kinda weird, but I was up in Mass working for a few weeks,I got a free weekend and drove over to the shop (DSG). I was there when Nick took the car for an errand the hood opened up on him. I was like WOW! Really messed up his day, anyways post up any questions you got, there are alot of Great people on here that can help you out. Good luck with the car and don't give up on it! Robert

Sean92AWD

Thank god your finally working on it. You going to be at the shop on Saturday? Im probably going to come pick up my car and get it ready. You should pull the harness from the shell before it gets cold and try to remedy them together if you cant find an intact harness.

Quoting chris:
Here is the link for the orginal build thread on it.

click

lol yeah my friend just sent that link to me!

Quoting Sean92AWD:
Thank god your finally working on it. You going to be at the shop on Saturday? Im probably going to come pick up my car and get it ready. You should pull the harness from the shell before it gets cold and try to remedy them together if you cant find an intact harness.

WATERMAN!!!!!!

yeah, if I'm out of work at a decent hour today I'm going to go there today too, and tomorrow, and saturday, and sunday. this shiz has to be ready by the 10th!!! I would like to have it running by Sunday, think I'm gonna register it Saturday. Chris and I are just going to delete alot of those misc. wires. Between Tony, Chris, and you (if you feel like takin a look) we can decipher whats what. I may just keep my eye out for a new harness though. I want this thing to look MINT by spring.

Sean92AWD

I will be down saturday for sure. I will bring my camera and get better pictures for you. Did you reserve a spot already? He only has like 6 left i believe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts