The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Custom 75mm Throttle Body

After my BBK Throttle body took a sh*t, my brother and I decided that we would build on that could handle the abuse that I was going to dish out. The Body is 6061 Aluminum, and the Butterfly and shaft are both 304 Stainless. The Rotor matches the stock rotor size, and the TPS Sensor is the stock one.

This is just Revision 1, we still have some changes we need to make to it. I need to find a better spring for it. Sometime the spring will bind and the throttle will slowly close. So after we have sourced a new spring this thing should be perfect.

We did some 25psi pulls on it last night and it held up great. We are going to continue beating on it to see if we can get it to break /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. however I dont think we are going to have any luck breaking it.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_0007

IMG_0008

IMG_0009

IMG_0010

IMG_0011

IMG_0012

IMG_0014

IMG_0015

IMG_0017

IMG_0018

IMG_0019

IMG_0020

IMG_0021

IMG_0022

cOmpressor

Looks awesome man! CNC machines are the shiz.

atc250r

Staff member
Looks really nice. What are you doing in lieu of a closed throttle switch?

curtis

Sweet.

After we get done with a lot more testing, I will offer them up to the dsm community. I need to go through and do a full run of pressure tests, and make sure it can handle the abuse of 35+psi runs. All in all it is working great so far, we need to adjust the throttle plate, it seems that we need to taper it a little, and we also want to add the ISC to this. We learned a lot about building Throttle bodies, it is not as easy as it looks, however there is really not much to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

cOmpressor

Quoting TheBoz:

IMG_0019

No half shaft mod LoLzx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

strokin4dr

Nice work. You may want to bead the opening though, so there is less chance of the coupler blowing off.

It is a full shaft. We were just doing all the testing on Rev 1, we will put a bead on it. But it held on just fine at 25psi, on a t67.

CarRacer

Peter Griffin and I agree, that's freakin sweet!

A very cool and unique mod, although I agree on lengthing the area for a coupler to attach or add a bead.

A great first effort for never making a TB before.

Ya, keep the input coming. I want to make a lot of changes for rev 2. So anything you guys can think of that this needs. We used the BBK 75mm as our template for this. We did make a lot of little changes that would help to make mine a lot stronger and seal much better.

Also this was all done on a 3 axis milling machine. The only part we did with a lathe was the TB Shaft, and that was just to cut it down to size. The only lathe I have access to is from WWII /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so it is very loose.

I can tell you for sure that there is a lot more to a TB than meets the eye. The Butterfly was the hardest part, and getting it to seal up properly has been a huge pain in the ass.

Also Thanks for all the input so far.

ktmrider

Quoting CarRacer:
Peter Griffin and I agree, that's freakin sweet!

A very cool and unique mod, although I agree on lengthing the area for a coupler to attach or add a bead.

A great first effort for never making a TB before.

+1, maybe both ( longer and beaded ) on the input.
Still a beauty! Great job...

atc250r

Staff member
I'd have to agree 110%, make the flange for the TB inlet longer and either machine a bead into it or weld one there. How about putting a CTP switch mount for those of us that aren't baller enough to run an AEM EMS?

John

turbowop

Where does the FIAV and ISC go? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Looks good. +1 on a longer and beaded coupler section.

It is crazy because it is hard to decide what to put on and what to leave off. For me I dont need any of the fancy stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, it is ok for my car to idle at 1300 rpm. However I would like to offer these up to the DSM community, but dont want to add a lot of features that people will not use.

I know I would love to have the Idle Control Motor and a BISS on there instead of using the Throttle body to set the idle.

The existing cupler mounting surface is long enough for a tbolt clap. How much more do you guys think it should be extended? (5mm, 10mm, 20mm)

Things to add
1. Idle Controller
2. BISS
3. Throttle Closed Sensor
4. Additional Cupler Mounting Surface with Bead

thats bad ass! do you have access to a cnc machine all the time? and do you write your own code?

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
I would say 10 or 20mm added to the TB inlet would be nice to give the user some breathing room with it. I don't run a ISC or a FIAV on my car and IMHO, the majority of 4G63's that could benefit from a larger TB don't need them anyway. I only asked about the CTP switch because it does have a significant effect on idle and when coasting downhill. Without it the stock ECU won't shut the injectors off when coasting and the idle will usually surge for no apparent reason.

John

turbowop

The throttle body coupler in the pic below is a spare from a past setup I ran. It is 2.00" long. The one on my car now is 1.25" long, which is the shortest I would go comfortably. It leaves just enough room between the bead and the TB flange to clamp the coupler down.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts