The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Spark problems after car is started

natoe

I've been having troubles figuring out what is up with the galant and finally broke down to make a new thread about it.

The car starts, eventually idles fine, but when I try to rev it at all it will first stumble and then rev to about 2000ish and then cut spark and fall back to idle. If I hold the throttle open it will continually bounce from idle to 2000ish and I can smell fuel (like its cutting spark but not fuel).

I have a known good ECU in the car (with the basic chip goodies) and just tried a good power transistor with no avail.

Any ideas? Could it be the coilpack? I didn't think it would be since it idles fine off throttle.

Thanks for any help!

Terry Posten

Kind of sounds like a bad MAS/MAS wiring. The ECU has gone into "limp home" mode.

Is the check engine light on?

natoe

No check engine light, if I unplug the MAF then it revs up without cutting out. I checked the MAF wiring and cleaned up my connections (the car came with it cut and labeled).

I am kind of suspicious of the MAF as well, but before it got parked due to a bad ecu it wasn't giving me problems.

natoe

hmm I will look into that, its all plugged in correct but it may be bad.

I put a 2G maf in place and the spark problem went away, I didnt try driving it though because the chip was for larger injectors. However, it seems that this would mean it is the maf or maf wiring thats causing it..

natoe

still trying to figure this out...

what should happen if the temp sensor is unplugged? that way i can figure out if mine is acting normal or not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts