The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

blocking off Turbo water port on water pipe???

Well, the cars on it's way here to me.....

Sooner or later, I'm going with a larger oil cooled turbo.

The car currently has the 91+ water pipe, that also sends coolant to the oil filter assembly. While replacing the +91 assembly with a 90 filter assembly and then using a N/T water pipe would be the BEST thing to do, it's kind of out of the question while I'm here.

So.... I need to know the PLUG style and SIZE to block off the outbound port FROM the water pipe to the turbo

Thanks!!

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:

bustedsm

Hey Geoff, save yourself some time and have it welded. It's not a long process and will be easier in the long run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

Why dont you just take off the water line and bring it down to the hardware store to find thread size? It needs to come off anyways.

Some people dont have access to a welder and a bolt with loc tite is just as good as a weld.

bustedsm

I do realize this but there is always a risk of the bolt not sealing correctly and causing an overheating issue. Nobody wants that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ktmrider

Someone on the site is selling the proper plugs, can't remember who tho.
He might PM the size since you are overseas.
Edit, here's the link click or PM chris ( just chris ) on the board.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

Quoting krkline2gdsm:
Why dont you just take off the water line and bring it down to the hardware store to find thread size? It needs to come off anyways.

Some people dont have access to a welder and a bolt with loc tite is just as good as a weld.

Im sure there is a welding shop somewhere in ur area that would weld it for you. i also saw at jmf's open house, the one guy has it flatened to pinch it shut and then seal it the rest of the way if u dont have a welder

rgeier11

I bought mine from AMS. It is a brass piece that I threw some teflon tape on. I have never had a problem in 3+ years. However, I feel like the bolt cost close to if not over $10. Plus, the plus is nearly flush with the water pipe and does not stick out. It is definitely a clean install.

But, like I said, it was a one time fix and I've never had a problem. With that said, the price is fair.

I could do both the turbo and the waterpipe block off for 18$ shipped in the usa. Ive been meaning to get the plug to block off the oem pipe and just sell a whole kit.

it's 14 x 1.5 I think. I used an oil drain plug on my 1st gen and haven't had any problems with it in several years.

slugsgomoo

non turbo water pipes are cheap and plentiful, all you need is a new o-ring for the waterpump (unless yours is in good shape after removal). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

yea i did a NA pipe on mine but if you want a quick solution to the problem, my plugs work great.

Exactly Chris. I guess the point thats missed is that,
I'm still utilizing the 91+ oil filter assembly and
that assembly [as opposed to a pre 91 waterpipe] is cooled by the 91+ waterpipe.
I HAVE to use it, or switch over to a 90 oil cooled filter housing.

chucklesas

So is it M14x1.5? I've been trying to track down a 3/8" barb fitting that can attach to the turbo outlet on the water pipe. So far the 2 pieces I've bought don't seem to fit quite right.

Nate

I'm pretty sure I've just gone to home depot and gotten a brass fitting that threaded in. Not the exact thread, mind you, but close enough to block the hole up when used with teflon tape. Do they have any HDs in Bahrain? ;-)

chucklesas

Sorry, I bumped an old thread. I guess I'll just try to get the 3/8" NPT fitting to jam in there. Thanks for the help.

i sell the plugs for the turbo and water pipe block off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif just to let ya guys know, so you dont have to jam improper bolts in there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts