The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission rebuild question- removing shift selector shaft

Bimmubishi

I'm in the process of rebuilding my transmission. I've never removed the shift cable selector shaft (that's what I'm calling it)

How the hell do I get this out? There are pins but they don't budge.

2801324418_89a9a61ab2.jpg

Barnes

Dear god I hate pin. It is a solid tapered pin. If you try to drive it out, it is basically going backward, i.e. tigheter. The only way I got one out was to drill a hole in the bellhousing on the opposite side. That way I could drive it out the proper direction.

Other option is to somehow pry it from behind.

IMO, if you have access to TIG welding goodness, drill the hole, knock out the pin, and plug weld the hole you just made.

EDIT: I'll edit your pic to show you exactly the pin I'm talking about. There is a simple roll pin on the gadget that is right next to that spring around the shaft. You will have to remove that one as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Nope. Some people say they can drive it out the way it went in. I don't see how that is possible. I think perhaps I got the other one out via drilling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I remember not loving life however. That memory is crystal clear.

Barnes

It worked fine for me. Hard part is trying to get it in exactly the right spot.

I'm 99% sure it was super easy after that. Wish someone could back me up however.

spoulson

I was faced this option during my recent rebuild and decided to let sleeping dogs lie. I found that drilling is really your only option and I wasn't prepared to expand my budget by buying a new selector shaft if I screwed it up.

Bimmubishi

I sort of dealt with this today. I cut the welds that hold the arm onto the shaft after marking them and then welded the Evo arm onto the 2g trans rod. I'm sure this will be an impending disaster.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts