The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PTT Twin Disc Clutch Noise, is it OK?

cobrajetguy

I just got my car running after installing a new PTT twin disc and built tranny. When I push the clutch pedal in a can here a noise coming from the tranny like maybe the clutch fork hitting the pressure plate bolts or something. It is pretty rythemic so I don't think it is just the normal clutch rattle of a twin disc. Anyone know if you need to clearance the clutch fork? The fork and pivot ball are brand new with no shims. I am using the isuzu slave as well.

Peter

bazeng

I'm not running your clutch, but I have a twin plate and it sounds pretty noisy when you push the pedal in.. I had to grind my fork to clear the pressure plate.

You could pull the rubber off the fork on the bell housing and take a peek... you might be able to see it if it is touching. you could possibly hear the fork knocking the pressure plate if its making contact..

Brianawd

Its the norm. Just wait tell you pull up to a stop light and the person next to you is giving your car the look of oh f*** its going to blow up

Quoting cobrajetguy:
I just got my car running after installing a new PTT twin disc and built tranny. When I push the clutch pedal in a can here a noise coming from the tranny like maybe the clutch fork hitting the pressure plate bolts or something. It is pretty rythemic so I don't think it is just the normal clutch rattle of a twin disc. Anyone know if you need to clearance the clutch fork? The fork and pivot ball are brand new with no shims. I am using the isuzu slave as well.

Peter

It's to be expected. I would be more worried if it made no noises. Enjoy your clutch I loved my PTT when I had it back in the day.

curtis

Even better is when you accelerate hard look back and its leaving tire paint on the ground like a V8.

Or when you accelerate hard in a gear and let off change gear and don't give it gas as you let off the clutch ....its chirps.

Prime example what a dual disk can do to the competition

What an idiot^^^ How funny would it have been if that pick up smashed his rear lol

1gnasty

twins make noise but not that much

Myles

Yeah I mean I don't know anything about twins but that sounded like a little much. Whenever I see/hear the evos with twins they just kinda sequel when the clutch is in.

BadVr4

They should make a decent amount of noise from the floating discs. The noise will never go away, you may get more used to it

cobrajetguy

Well I think the rattle got a little quieter and it definately squeals when you engage it but it drives fine except for trying to stall my engine because of lack of weight, big cams and such, and being so grabby. All in all I like it, I think the days of my clutch slipping are gone. Thanks for all the replies.

Peter

Launch

a freinds HKS Twin made TOO much noise from day one......after the tear down recently, found that friction plate had worped, and started to 'chatter' on the end of the crank

1941Galant

I'm going to bump this thread real quick since I'm having a hard time finding information on what kind of noise is normal during decel for a twin disk. My car is making a fairly loud clanking/banging sound on decel at anything below 60mph, and I can't tell if the noise is coming from the clutch or the driveshaft. Above 60mph the sound is quite bearable, it may be a little louder than the noise you get at idle with the clutch pedal depressed, but anything below 60mph is pretty bad.

I have maybe 300 miles on the clutch, and I've only recently started beating on it, with 1 launch against a Lightning, and it has made the sound the entire time without getting better or worse. Also, for what it's worth, the trans is rebuilt and upgraded with around 800 miles on it, the clutch is a PTT, and the driveshaft has over 100k miles on it without being touched.

4thStroke

FWIW, my driveshaft had arounf 170k on it when it needed some work. You're best bet is to climb under the car and check it for abnormal play, especially the lobro.

The decel noise is kind of hard to explain. It's not really much of a clunk with each rotation. Mine seems to be more RPM sensative rather than speed. I'll see if I can get a video up within the next couple days to try help you out. I'll be driving the car tonight so it's just a matter of making sure I remember to bring a charged camera.

For some reason, out of all the cars I've been in with a twin disc, mine is the loudest (all have been QMs, and I even had the revised discs that are supposed to be quieter) by far. I do have a lot of polyurethane bushings and even aluminum driveshaft carrier bushings, all of which probably contribute to the noise. I even hear drivetrain harmonics at cruise if I'm on the freeway.

If it's a noise that just started when you installed the twin, as long as it was installed properly, I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

1941Galant

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I had it out today and when I was heading down a hill by my house I pulled the e-brake up a little bit, which made about 80% of the noise go away, so I'm suspecting the driveshaft right now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts