The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock vs Clevite thrust bearing question..notches??

HunterDG

I've just taken the crank out.. and looking at the stock thrust bearings, I've noticed they have notches machined on the inner surface, where the two meet, while the Clevites do not. It seems i have heard that some Clevite resellers 'mod' the bearings (FFWDConnection). Is this what they are talking about?

Should I be concerned that the Clevites do not have these notches?

here's a few pics,

pulled from another post, notches clearly visible..
https://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=46775

and here's pics of mine..

any ideas?

Last edited:

bazeng

Those grooves are from bearings which are 1/2 grooved... the bottom half of the bearing would look like the one in the picture you posted, and the top half would have a groove on the entire face of the bearing..

Some bearings are no groove, some are full grooved.

I guess it depends on what types of bearings you want.

Mitsu OEM beaings are 1/2 grooved on the mains
and No grooves on the big ends.
(from memory)

Some guys go full groove to get more oil to the bearing/journals but due to the reduced surface area on the bearing, it could lead to more wear on the journal / bearing.

The centre main bearing (Thrust) has no groove in the ACL make.
Some guys mod this by putting a full groove on the bearing.

I dont think that you will have an issue as the ACL's dont have the groove either.

HunterDG

Thanks for your reply, and the info that i was not aware.. but it confused me a bit..

to clarify, i'm only speaking about the center (thrust) bearing in this instance..

Both the bottom and top half-(circle) of the bearings have the two notches on the inner surface, right where they meet eachother. The bottom and top halves are both notched the same, as can be seen in my first picture in the post (not the link), where i am holding the top half of the thrust bearing next to the bottom half. . Neither half of the thrust bearing has 'a groove on the entire face of the bearing', as you suggested..

does that mean they are not stock?

is the purpose just for better oiling in this case as well?

Thanks for the info!

- Hunter

bazeng

I'm not sure if it is stock or not,
I have an old motor @ home that I could check out.

Does the bearing have any markings on the back of it?
and brand name?

The main thrust bearing has the oil running via the back of the bearing. Where the other main bearings have the oil running via the front/groove of the bearing.

I'm assuming the groove is the manufacturers design to provide better oil flow??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts