The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this normal? Boost leak test question

stealthtt24

OK so I did a boost leak test at the throttle body with a homemade tester (since when I did a boost leak test at the FP 3065 turbo, it was leaking air into crankcase), set my compressor regulator to about 20 pounds and had at it. First, i have a leak at the stupid tester, so I will fix that, I have two small leaks at ports at the intake manifold, but nothing major.

But I take the oil cap off and I can still feel/hear air coming out! Not a whole lot but some. I dont hear any oil bubbling as I did before though. No air coming out of my exhaust, and the boost the whole time was at minimum 26 pounds (via boost gauge) and max almost 30. So where do I sit? Obviously fix my 2 small leaks at the intake manny ports and boost leak tester but other than that do you guys think im OK or are my valves leaking?

EDIT: My PCV valve has been eliminated and is running the two valve cover ports into a vented catch can.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

So an update. I did this again with the motor out of the car, put it to TDC and air is still escaping out of the valve cover! My compression numbers turned up good, so im going to do a leak down test. Anyone got any ideas though?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned