The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery Disconnect Switch

I just found out that to race at the drag strip you need a Battery Cutoff switch. I have my battery cutoff switch in my car but It's in the trunk, not outside the body. I want my car to make it to the track this summer, so I need to figure out where to put the switch and how that'll work. Does anyone have any pictures of their setup? I have a switch type that I would love to use. any good ideas where? Any imput would be great!

I was thinking about putting the switch behind the license plate some how, is this possible? if so how would this sit with the plate being up against the switch?

Like turbowop said there is lots of info on this, I did mine like he has his setup its the easiest IMO.

I already have a switch type cutoff that I would like to use. Does anyone have any information on this type of switch?

boostedinaz

On what type of switch??? You haven't given us any information on it like the name of it, a link to what it looks like, or a picture of where you have it now.

We can't help you if you don't help us.

This is the switch I have, It's from summit. It's currently in the trunk, which you can see the problem because it is not outside the car.

Sorry for the short posts but I'm in college between classes. Sorry.

Thanks alot though.

CarRacer

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you only needed a cut off if you broke a certain time? I want to say breaking 11 secs?

Accorind the the NHRA rules,which is what the track near me uses when teching in a car the rule is as follows.

"8:4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated or on any vehicle running
9.99 or quicker. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must
be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily
accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be
connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must
stop all electrical functions, including magneto ignition. The off
position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is
“push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the
electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to
activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or
keyed switches prohibited."

Since my battery is relocated to the trunk I believe I fall in the group that needs one.

How doyou make it kill the Alt too? The one I have is between the battery and the rest of the car... Are you saying that this doesn't work?

That switch you have is just like the Moroso one I have. Go to jegs and get the push pull disconnect kit here

This is how my battery and switch are currently set up. I am thinking about the way things are set up and if all else fails I can just move it back to the engine bay. let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

cOmpressor

Why not get a second trunk lid and pop it into there? Alt kill = car runs with battery disconnected so the kill needs to stop the charge also, otherwise whats the point of cutting the battery?

What do you mean a second trunk lid?

How do I make it kill the alternator? Where does the switch need to go? I am starting to think I shouldn't have moved the battery.

Gordian79

u can get the handle(like greensleves) by itself and use the switch you already have.its difficult to mount the switch u have on galant unless you drill rear bumper maybe.

I got this diagram seaarching and found kcpaz made a thread on how he did his. I figured I'd post it here incase it could help anyone else.

PJGross

do you have this in higher resolution, can't make out the words??
I have that above cutoff switch and looks like a kit is in order!

On deck lids, are they hard to come by or expensive either new or rust free used? (I'll chk the for sale area)

-PJ

iLLeffeKt vr-4

That diagram is useless. Try posting a better/bigger one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned