The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gridning in 1st,2nd and 5th........ with a new clutch

Hondasi88

I just had a new clutch installed........some stage 3 something i really dont remember. Before the install in order for me to go in first without grinding i would need to use another gear or shake it around a bit.

I was driving today and noticed that I would get the grinding noise in 2nd and now 5th.

My mechanic told me i might need a transmission soon but of course i am in denial!

Can some post some sites or lead me toward the right transmission?

boostx

You also have dogbox in nj

the clutch may need adjusting, where does the pedal engage, Near the floor? or it could be a weak slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder.
jeremiah

It sounds to me like the clutch is out of adjustment. If you didn't have this issue before, and now you do after the clutch was replaced, it is clutch. If it is in the friction zone (dragging) you will kill the synchros in a hurry. Sounds like your mechanic didn't adjust the clutch correctly nor do the necessary modifications with a heavier clutch install. I would stop driving it until you figure that out or you will ruin the trans as there is a chance you are still okay. Here are some videos on how to adjust it yourself:

click

Jack

3rdstrikedsm

There you have it.^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gimpin

Quoting Jackstrans:
It sounds to me like the clutch is out of adjustment. If you didn't have this issue before, and now you do after the clutch was replaced, it is clutch. If it is in the friction zone (dragging) you will kill the synchros in a hurry. Sounds like your mechanic didn't adjust the clutch correctly nor do the necessary modifications with a heavier clutch install. I would stop driving it until you figure that out or you will ruin the trans as there is a chance you are still okay. Here are some videos on how to adjust it yourself:

click

Jack

You sir are the MAN!!! thank you for taking the time out of your day to make the instructional videos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif you guys are a true blessing to the DSM community

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned