The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator removal help pic?????

replacing alt right now and have it unbolted but will not come out all data says to put out here wont fit

steve

Pull the rad, or the PS bracket motor mount etc etc.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Have you said a bad word yet?

Sometimes, that's what it takes. (well, that and some contortions, think auotomtive twister.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Some searching may do you some good, as well.

This topic has been covered before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Polish

Quote:
Pull the rad, or the PS bracket motor mount etc etc.

You need to do this.

Terry Posten

The other thing you can do to give yourself tbat extra inch or 2. Remove the top 2 rad brackets (2 bolts each) and just pull up on the rad and move it slightly over to the passenger side. Leave all the hoses on, just pull the rad up and out of the lower pins and slide it over and to the front.

That will give you more room to manuver.

IncorpoRatedX

it's been so long since i worked on a stock galant but i think you can remove the metal charge pipe and free up a lot of room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

TWEAKD4

I didn't have to pull the rad only the PS pump and bracket. I didn't have factory IC so that gave me a little bit more room.

steve

Yeah its either the rad, or the PS pump/bracket which also involves the motor mount.

Quote:
The other thing you can do to give yourself tbat extra inch or 2. Remove the top 2 rad brackets (2 bolts each) and just pull up on the rad and move it slightly over to the passenger side. Leave all the hoses on, just pull the rad up and out of the lower pins and slide it over and to the front.

Quote:

worked perfectly thanks

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You guys are lucky, only have to pull half of what I had to with my Colt. The through pivot bolt was still in facing the frame, so I had to drop the front mount, timing mount, rad pulled sideways, intercooler piping removal over manifold, and well you get the picture. 2+ hours on your back when you should be on the dyno with your buddies helps build character right? *Insert picture of skinny guy flexing arms like Hulk Hogan*. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CP

Grrr...the Autozone special that came with the car when I bought it 4 years ago just took a dump on me. My battery and the ebrake light were on today when I went out to get lunch. I stopped by an Advance Auto on the way home to have the battery checked, since I had a RedTop go bad on my 2 years ago. He said the battery was good to go. I was down to 10.7 volts by the time I got home tonight with dim lights and the idle was all fucked up. My RedTop is on a charger right now in the trunk. I'm calling JNZ tomorrow to see if they've got an OEM unit in stock that can be overnighted for Saturday delivery.

So I can remove the upper radiator brackets and just move it a bit without having to drain the thing in order to get some room to pull the alternator out?

I just read the vfaq and it says to remove the water pump pulley...is this necessary?

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
Unless the VFAQ is specific for a GVR4 it will not be totally accurate. 1G's have more room up there than our cars do. I think you might be able to move the radiator over to the side without disconnecting the hoses. Its worth a try, right?

John

CP

Fer sher.

Still need to get on that other diesel forum you recommended. Turns out I can get a stainless MBRP exhaust (wholesale) for about the same price as that one you sent me a link to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1badgvr4

Just pull off the metal charge pipe and the ps bracket thats all.I can do it in 25 min on a galant and almost 15 on my 1g.

CP

Well that wasn't any fun. 2 hours later I've got the alternator out, and that entire corner of the engine apart. I removed the motor mount, belts, moved the radiator over, and pulled the PS pump out of the way. I started to remove the PS bracket until the first bolt on the front side of the motor snapped and decided that removing it wasn't a good idea for fear of snapping the second bolt.

Last edited:

CarRacer

Does your motor mount still wrap around the corner of the engne? I cut my mount to make working on that corner of the engine bay easier.

A little late for that suggestionbut hopefully for someone elses future reference.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned