The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New build for 439/1000

Brianawd

Well I started working on the galant today. Its been sitting in the garage for 7 months now. I will post more pics as I get stuff done.
This is the reason for the new build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Motor almost ready to pull. I will drop the trans tomorrow and pull the motor.

Once I get the motor pull apart I will post up more pics of the rod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Wizardawd

Must be a rare option, your block has fresh air vents.

Wiz

was that hole by chance behind the AC?
had a block that did that and just wonder the location
Shane

Brianawd

#3 right behind the starter

Brianawd

Well got the motor out and pulled apart.
This is cylinder #3

And look what else I found cylinder #2 looks to be a little out of shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
Holy hell! How did you manage that!?

I believe I reached the HP limit of my 1g rods. Been beating on those rods for around 5-7 years now. So they have had a hard life.

JNR

I did that in my Syclone; bent and twisted the connecting rod. It only had 47k miles and was mostly stock. Fukkers ruined my truck upon the rebuild though and it was never the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif (this was before the 'net, so I was pretty limited on parts and specifics on those engines, although they were essentially a 350 cid with middle cylinders gone)

Brianawd

So block goes in on Wednesday. I got the kiggly girdle on and ready for the line bore.

JB

Bling Bling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

Quote:
So block goes in on Wednesday. I got the kiggly girdle on and ready for the line bore.

How about a side view of the girdle. I just looked them up I had no idea you could buy one that cheap. I spent a day making the 7 bolt girdle fit looks like yet again the board is helping me spend money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

brian, that buildup looks sexy. So jealous to see it going back together already. I'm tired of how stagnated my car is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

curtis: click

Brianawd

Well got the block dropped off today. I have to say, I was vary impressed by the machine shop. They have all brand new Sunnen computer controlled equipment. Should have the block back next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
What pistons are those?

Ross/magnus 9.0:1
Quote:
I want your rod... rods:nohomo:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Brianawd

Well I pick up the block,head and all the other parts Friday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belize1334

What shop did you use Brian? Can you detail what you're having them do and what they gave you for an estimate?

Brianawd

Quote:
What shop did you use Brian? Can you detail what you're having them do and what they gave you for an estimate

I used M&B heads.
Here is what I had done.
Block
Bore and torque plate hone the block.
Deck the block
Line hone the mains
Polish the crank
Balance the rotating assembly
He has to hone the small end of the rod to fit the wrist pin.
Head
Deck the head
16 new valve guides
cut the valve seats to fit the 1mm over size valves
Cleaned up the bowls
Gasket matched the intake side
Cleaned up any casting spots and Polished the exhaust side.

He also put a ring gear on my new flywheel and some other little stuff.

All and all my bill came out to $760
$300 for the head
$100 to bore and torque plate hone the block
$60 to deck the block
$150 to balance the rotating assembly
$150 to line hone the mains

He did not charge me to fit the rods
polish the crank, put he ring gear on.
and some other little stuff because I sent him some
work. So if you want use him let me know and I will get you his info.

I picked him because my friends work uses him and have never had a single problem with his work. Plus the fact that he has all new state of art Sunnen equipment. Oh and the fact that he put a 2jz into his street rod that he is working on

belize1334

Wow, that sounds like a hefty list at a very reasonable price. I'm moving to Bozeman this summer to attend graduate school and I'd like to put a fresh engine in before I go but it's a bit of a pipe dream with money being short. If I can manage to get it together I'll definitely get in touch with you cause even if I pay more than you did for the work it sounds like the price would still be pretty unbeatable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts