The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Datalogger cables

eviLntt

I don't have one myself, but I was wondering how complex are these? I make serial cables all day long at work, and have access to all sorts of eletronic supplies. If they aren't too complex or require any special parts I would be willing to put some together for a low price (cost of materials plus a few for my time). Any thoughts on this?

DarkDevilMMM

there are 2 different kinds of cable out there, 1 active, 1 passive. active one is a bit complex, but not hard at all. the passive one consists of resistor and diode. let me see if I can find the drawing again... I posted this before, should be in How to...

eviLntt

If its just a resistor and diode, thats really easy. I just need a drawing or one that I can inspect and I know I can figure it out.

eviLntt

Well the passive is stupid easy, the active would require a little more brain power. I could do both... what is the advantage of the active over the passive? Is there anyone that would be interested in this?

jepherz

Staff member
I think the only reason to have an active cable is if you have a 92+ car. If you leave a passive cable plugged into these cars, they have an ABS diagnostic computer that will disable the ABS if the cable is plugged in (Grounding the data pin) at start up.

I believe the active just allows you to keep the cable plugged in without it tripping the ABS. AKA "Auto-On". These used to be on ebay for $25 but I've not seen them for a long time now.

speedyvr4

I hate wiring and I made one. If you have all the tools at work,and you do that stuff everyday, it shouldn't take you more then 10 minutes.

stevep

Quote:
what is the advantage of the active over the passive?

The passive cable depends on your computers serial port accepting non-complient RS232 signals for it to work. The standard uses + and - voltage levels for signaling but the ECU output only goes from 0 to 12v. So the passive cable might not work with all computers. The active converts the single ended output from the ECU and converts it to dual ended signals the meet the RS232 spec.

You can tell an active cable by it's need for a power source.

Auto-on is a whole different thing. That refers to hos pin 10 gets pulled low to activate the datalogging mode on the DLC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned