The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake upgrade

dime2nr

i just got my brackets from the machine shop

basically all i got here is 3rd gen rx-7 calipers custom brackets and factory size rotors everything fits under factory wheels next is to tackle the rears. my plan for that it late 3000gt vr4 2 pot rear calipers matched with early 3000gt vr4 rotor which 10mm larger than the fronts overall but with the built in drums should have roughly the same swept area as the fronts.

Last edited:

Is their a certain reason for the upgrade but still sticking with the stock rotors?

dime2nr

im building the car for rally and rally-x. tires are the main reason for staying with the smaller rotor.

Why not stick with the stock calipers then? Are the calipers lighter or something? Just wondering why the switch to the rx7 calipers but sticking with the stock rotors over the stock big brakes which work really well?

Looks good though clean them up and paint them real nice. Clear the stock wheels too? Would love to see pics of the whole setup on the car.

dime2nr

yes these are a more rigid caliper and aluminum also a little more pad selections available. also its a stab at something that may be a great improvement or a total flop but i only have about 150 dollars in the setup.

Last edited:

Nice! Did you happen to take weights of it or can you before you put it on the car?

dime2nr

ill get the weights its gonna be a little while befor the go on holiday shopping and all gonna replace everything on the knuckles while im there but ill be sure to give weights and impressions as soon as i do the install

Hmm... in the interest of the greater GVR4 community.. any way we can get the plans for the brackets?

dime2nr

the only bad thing about the upgrade is it requires a permanent modification to the steering knuckles.i'd prefer to test the setup be for i point people don't the wrong path if this doesn't work very well.if my tests are good ill definitely share the bracket design with everyone who wants it.

Ok so the calipers are much larger than stock, or just the place it mounts is in the place of the steering knuckle?

In Australia, I dunno if it's possible to get cheap RX7 parts... probably not really, people love rotaries here. (Never even HEARD of an LS1 rx7 here) Nonetheless, a possibly cheap upgrade is a lot better than a probably expensive /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/laugh.gif

dime2nr

the factory caliper mounting holes are actually in the way of getting the caliper onto the rotor so half the oe mounting ears have to be whacked of and new caliper mounting holes drilled into the knuckle itself. mine are also tapped to accept a 10mm bracket mounting bolt. i had a spare set of knuckles to use as a tester to make sure all will work the way i intend it to befor i start sing any praises or cry wolf and go back to stock.

dime2nr

basically cut on the white line and drill where the washers are to allow the caliper to slide all the way down onto the rotor and then attach the bracket

Eh that isn't too bad... getting a spare set of steering knuckles wouldn't be the end of the world..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned