The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Spark Plugs?

I am going to start building my motor and I need to know what spark plugs are best? I have a fully built 6 bolt with FP Green 850cc injectors 255 walbro and I am going to use coil onplugs.

Thanks,
J

Dialcaliper

+1 NGK

Either the BPR7ES, or the BPR7EIX Iridum if you feel like spending the extra money.

Also, the R (resistor plug) is important - our cars have electronic ignition and fuel injection (it doesn't matter for distributor/carburetor engines)

Last edited:

rheckert

Thank you for the correction. I get the cheaper plugs and change them more often.

gvr4ever

I couldn't find the information, but I thought Extreme Motersports did a test on spark plugs. The cheap copper ones were the best for just about every boost application. This has been well known for some time.

I think the iridium plugs were better for very high boost applications tho. Copper plugs are probably the right choice for 95% of us. That's what I run.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
They have an "R" in the number. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Myles

And I'm pretty sure they're gapped out of the box at .40. So you have to make sure to properly gap them. As with any plug but definitely always check the R's

Dialcaliper

They have a resistor in them. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Quote:
What is different with the resistor plugs?

Whenever you have a high voltage spark gap going off, it causes radio frequency interference, which can cause problems with electronics, especially engine control computers, sensors, and the ignition system itself. Varies from vehicle to vehicle, but in general the resistor, along with good plug wires, will help reduce the RF generated to an acceptable level. That, and the ignition system is designed to use it (sort of like high and low impedance fuel injectors - use the right kind)

Teh interweb knows all

Last edited:

mikus

FWIW I have some BPR's on teh coffee table next to me. Fresh out of box they're gapped ±0.29-30. Not that you should ever not check gap...

vtecds1

^^^I always had the habit of 2x checking the gap. And thats what i always have mine at.

acustark

Has anyone looked into the new Pulstar Plugs? They use a new technology to increase the spark, but add a caution to only use them with a stock setup. They do have another option for modified cars, but it sits atop the plug and would be a fit problem for our cars. I had planned on going to the COP, but if these work I may direct my $$$ elsewhere.

Dialcaliper

Hrm - looks like snakeoil to me. Their diagram is basically showing a secondary coil that would "store" energy normally used up by heating the plug and components. The problem is that all of the same components are seeing current regardless of the plug used, and "When the ignition power overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the pulse circuit discharges all of its accumulated power" is true for any spark plug. They are somehow claiming that their plug doesn't require current to be used for ionization before the spark can jump the gap, which is also BS

Once ignited, the flamefront speed is determined by cylinder pressure. I don't buy the "increased cylinder pressure" bit. I certainly don't buy the claimed performance gains unless the original plugs on the vehicle are in awful shape. If anything, the circuit in there would retard the ignition timing, which would make things worse. Also, their pretty graphs are completely nonsensical - "Normalised Ensemble Velocity"? They can't even spell!

The only point they do have is that your typical ignition timing is pretty variable, and a given cylinder can preignite or misfire quite often.

Spark plugs for $25 each?

They also pulled the same cheater trick that every other "mpg/pwr/trq enhancer" does of running the car normally first (a total of 30 miles "city", 60 miles "highway") and then swapping the plugs. The first part of the test, the car isn't even warmed up, and they're taking mpg data based on less than a tank of gas.

Lastly, their two "in the news" entries are a blurb in a skeezy magazine, and advertisement in popular science

I call shenanigans.

Gordian79

NGK R $1.49 plugs.Ive used them for a long long time and they hold up well in high boost apps.i run BPR9es or 8s depending on boost and timing on my race car.on the gvr4 i use 7s for DD and 8s at the track.

grocery_getter

I've abandoned the "P" and now running just the straight BR*ES series.

Polish

The P stands for projected tip right?

Quote:
Nobody indexes spark plugs anymore?

What for ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The real reason for Indexing plugs is 1: to project the strap away from the piston dome or 2: to advance or retard the timing on one particular cylinder based on EGT's or Pressure sensors.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts