The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carrier Bearings.

AWDnot2

Do the carrier bearings for the drive shaft have to be pressed on or do they just slide on/off?

thats kool.. im about to do this..
how much does all the OEM parts come out to be??

I did this earlier this year, and the pricing isn't too bad through JNZ Tuning. You need 3 U-joints, two carrier bearings, and the spacers. Buying the T-case recall kit, and getting the U-joints that way, is usually cheaper than buying all of them separately.

Here's the part numbers and prices from my JNZ receipt.

T-case recall kit: MR470072 x 3 $28.79 each
Carrier bearing: MB505495 x 2 $65.28 each
Carrier bearing insulator: MB505283 x 4 $2.46 each
Carrier bearing insulator: MB505284 x 4 $2.46 each

I also got a couple other two dollar parts with the order. The total with shipping was $258.48

324vr4

that rocks! i just ordered a whole rebuild kit w/o carrier bearings (already have new ones waitin) and it ran me 135 shipped. not bad for peace of mind. thanks!

AWDnot2

Before you replace your carriers...

It should be known that normally theres a decent amount of movement in the carriers to begin with.
I went to replace them last night and the new ones felt just like the old ones. The old bearings were still packed with grease, no play and spun freely with no catching, rubber was in great shape w/ no dryrot at all, so i just replaced the u-joints.

So confirm that yours do in fact need replaced!

BTW, if anybody wants a set of carriers (MB505495), I'll sell both for $60, along with a u-joint (you only NEED to replace one).
I also have an extra transfer case yoke. $20.00

Last edited:

AWDnot2

parts are sold.

Something to make note of...

When reinstalling the U-joints, I had to remove 1/32" from each of the four sides (the part that the cap slides into.)Adn These were the factory mitsu parts, as well as the correct part no.

04DrBlur

The Ujoints that I had from Mitsu came with 3 different thickness of snap rings. Just had to use the right ones.

Rausch

^ He's right, unless you didn't get them from the dealer....Oh, and GO BUY ANOTHER GALANT!!! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

The u joints can be bought at advance auto parts they have them for the talons, just can't remember how much.

Here it is parts america group.

CP

I'm pretty sure they're $29 from JNZ as part of the "recall kit."

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned