The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Diff Seal Replacement

belize1334

So I appear to be leaking a fair amount of gear oil from my rear diff. It seems be coming out where the axle spline enters. Is this something that I can fix with the diff in the car? Can I just put a new seal in there? I'd rather not pay the money to completely rebuild a 3-bolt (if that's what it takes) when my plans call for a 4-bolt eventually anyway. Still, money being what it is, if there's an inexpensive fix I'll go for it.

belize1334

That's what I wanted to know. Anyone have a pn for the seal?

belize1334

I talked to the dealer and they didn't seem to have a listing for the seal. They listed a dust seal, but no fluid seal. Does anyone have a pn or possibly a schematic of the rear diff?

belize1334

Awesome, thanks. Just got off the phone with the dealership. PN confirmed.

Last edited:

belize1334

Perhaps this could go in the How To section.

Here's a pic of the problem. This is actually Jason's (Shiskibob) rear diff, but mine looked the same.

I got the above listed seal from the dealership for ~$10. After removing the rear axle (a pry-bar is useful here) the seal came out relatively painlessly. Just get a flat headed screwdriver and get it in behind the seal from the inside. Don't imagine that it'll all come out at once; work your way around and it'll move little by little. It probably took 5 minutes of patient work. The new seal goes in pretty easily. Make sure that it's lined up and start it by hand. Then get a big socket that is just a bit smaller than the outside of the seal so that the force is directed to the hard molded part. Then tap it in gently with a hammer. I actually didn't have a socket big enough so I just used the rubber side of a dead-blow hammer going slowly around the outside of the seal and tapping it in place. The socket method is preferable though as there is less chance of fouling the seal. Now leaky all gone.

BoostedAWD91

im replacing mine here shortly as well, leaking on the same side, i just got my new seal in from JNZ. hopefully mine will come out as easy as urs

I'm chiming in to say that it was all done in car, pretty painless. Jack the car up, remove the rear struts, unbolt the outer axle flange nuts, pop the axle out. Reassemble in reverse after the seal swap.

Well, painless for me; I just watched. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif I bet the whole job could be done in 20 minutes if you know what you're doing and don't run into any SNAFUs. I'm a nervous nelly though, so projects always take me longer.

belize1334

I would assume that it's the same part since it's also used for the transmission axle seals.

BoostedAWD91

yeah the correct part # for the seal is MD707184.
I just replaced my seal and after getting the new seal in, im having a hell of a time getting the axle to pop back into the rear, it just doesnt wanna go... anyone else have this problem before? The clip on the axle isnt screwed up at all either

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned