The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Testing the power transistor and installing new CAS

I was wondering if there is any way to test the power transistor on our cars with a voltmeter. I know what it looks like but I am not so sure of where it is located I think I remember seeing it on the passenger side fender wall toward the back but I could be wrong. If anyone could let me know where its located that would help a lot. As far as testing it I would assume you want 12V going in but it is my understanding that this acts as an amplifier of some sort. Anyone know what kind of voltage and amperage I should be getting out of it? Another question I have regards installing a new CAS. Can I just remove the old one and put the new one on or do I have do mess with cam positioning and timing and that sort of thing? I would appreciate any input you guys have on this. Once I get this done my car should be running again so I can get it all winterized and put away until I can drive again in a couple months, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimpin

it is located under the coils kinda behind t-belt cover

Alright then I was way off as far as the location. Anyone have any input on how to install a new CAS. I would really appreciate the info. I don't want to mess up my timing.

CP

There's a detailed set of tests in the FSM for the power transistor. They were too complicated for me, so I just replaced the entire unit. It didn't fix my code 44, which still plagues the car every now and then on the freeway /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif

You'll have to reset your timing when the new CAS goes in. Be sure to orient the new CAS correctly. There's a mark on one end of the the thing that spins, which coincides with a mark on the end of the camshaft. Otherwise your ECU will think the timing is 180* the opposite.

Alright, if I can't get it started after I replace the CAS I'll just pick up a new power transistor. This looks like a pretty expensive part though. I just checked autozone and its running like $150. How do I go about resetting the timing?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts