The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stolen Tech Articles from another site

Yeah I've had that fuel pump in my tank for over 3 years and it works great but its loud as hell.

boostx

I wonder how the alt will hold up to the heat

JNR

definitely a DSM grinding job /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

If you do something like this, make sure to cover the alternator really good...those shavings go EVERYWHERE! and, use something other than a dremel, lol.

Terry Posten

I only see 1 problem with the alt.

The cooling fins on the staurn alt are backwards arnt they?

Are those fins pulling air in or pushing air out nornally?

jepherz

Staff member
Those fins look like they would only be meant to push air into the alternator. I'd question as well.

JNR

Silly question, but would it matter if the unit is designed to operate in whichever way?

atc250r

Staff member
Nope. The alternator doesn't care which way its spinning. There might be alt. cooling problems if the "fan" that cools it is turning backwards though. We did a supercharger kit once on an NSX at the Acura dealer and the alternator actually got flipped 180* so that it ended up spinning backwards and it was fine.

John

curtis

First what is the output on the saturn ..... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif
The subaru alternator requires less work and fits in the bracket properly. For those that didn't see.

click me.

JNR

95-105 amps, per the link...

What is the cost difference for a new unit? I know jap parts can get $$$, but if it's a bolt on affair. Supposedly, these can be had for $70 /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/confused.gif

btw - I've been pretty lucky with the oem alternator, so I'm just going to stick with that for now, unless I can find some 200A model, or something, he he...What is the main problems with the oem unit? Are people not running their heat shields, draining their batteries, or what? Just wondering what to watch out for...

Last edited:

Rausch

the OEM unit is great. it's the lack of heat shields, and crappy aftermarket alt.'s that make things such a pain. the OEM units are way pricier than the autozone/pep boys/whoever remanned aftermarket units, but they work! problem is, the generic auto parts store units really are a crap shoot. it may take a few to find a good one. the heat shields (or lack thereof) are, i'm sure, a big contributor to the failure of these things in general. that being said, i don't think the alternatives will stand to hold up any better than an OE unit /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif..../specially if it's *gulp* delfi/ /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

I hear ya on crap rebuilds!

I had good luck with NAPA in the past and when I got one for my Chevelle, I lucked out, as everything was new in there!

I had polished my other housing, so I transferred all the goodies over to that unit and it's like a brand new unit, although only 63A /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif (old style, external regulator, boo)

Rausch

external regs are good. if it goes bad, you jst replace it. not like the rest where if any one part goes, it's all over.

best thing would either to get a good OEM unit, or a trusted rebuild (with a little extra amperage) and build a decent sheild for the whole assembly. that, or relocate the damn thing.... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

yeah shoot i wish i had an external regulator

as for the alternators - i always snatch up the oem units working or not...and when i need an alternator i drop one off at this local Amish run shop...they havn't charged me more than an advance unit so far and none of them have failed so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

I though the amish we're against electricity..... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Rausch

Quote:
I though the amish we're against electricity..... /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

tell that to the amish guys around here that pull up in HUGE diesel trucks w/trailers, air tools and cell phones. the frame houses for a few different companies.....it's kinda funny to see them on the phone at a job site...

atc250r

Staff member
Are you sure they're not Hasidic? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

I've never had a problem w/my alternator in the 6 years I've owned the car, but w/all the horror stories I hear this is good to know. Ok, going out on the crazy limb now... what about adding an external fan to cool the alternator? I'm into computer cooling, and it seems to me that a 120mm case fan would be just the thing, and it's already designed to run off a 12v feed. Discuss.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned