The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sunroof stopped working

quasimondo

On my commute home, the sunroof was fine. When I got home, it wasn't fine. I press the button to close it up, and all I hear is the relay clicking, but it doesn't sound like the motor is getting any juice. Had to crank it closed by hand. Checked the wiring, everything looks like it's in place, no loose/broken connectors.

Bad relay? Inhibitor switch? What could make it work fine one minute, then nothing the next?

Hertz

Staff member
I would think the inhibitor... but would expect it to allow it to open if it thought it was closed.

Definitely electrical?

14u2nV

most sunroofs come with a place you can crank by hand in case of failure. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Does it open on it's own now that you closed it??

Last edited:

ercp98

i'll try again. i am assuming that he's got a vr4 too. my question then is how do you hand crank the sunroof on the vr4? do you take out the lights near the rear view mirror?

14u2nV

under the light cover, there is a little round knockout. poke it out, and there is an allen head bolt,, turn it, sunroof closes. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

quasimondo

Quote:
most sunroofs come with a place you can crank by hand in case of failure. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Does it open on it's own now that you closed it??

Nope. After I cranked it closed, it's still the same problem. Relay clicks, but nothing happens. Where is the limit switch located for the sunroof?

So the relay is good, meaning it's supplying power to the motor. So, the next step is, is the motor making good on such offered power? Find the motor and check it's pinouts. If the motor is getting power and trying to open/close the sunroof, maybe the tracks are full of crap. Pretend it's an electric window (it basically is) and treat it as such. Maybe all it'll take is a cleaning/lubing of the window tracks to make it work again.

quasimondo

I don't think the relay is supplying power to the motor. Even though it clicks, I don't hear the motor working at all. I pulled the motor out and tried it, and got nothing. I checked the FSM and it looks like that relay box has two relays and some other circuits inside. I'm going to go to the junkyard and pulll the relay box and motor from a junked LS they have out there.

quasimondo

Problem solved. It was a bum motor. All is semi-right with the world once again.

14u2nV

Quote:
I'm going to go to the junkyard and pulll the relay box and motor from a junked LS they have out there.

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts